Chapter 3

Lunch time was usually at half past three. Today she was late. Meera always made sure the family had their meals together.  She was the first to reach home by three. As soon as she reached , she would warm up the food in the microwave oven and lay the table within a matter of minutes before Sagar arrived home.  She usually cooked lunch in the mornings before leaving for work. 

She had no much help at home except a woman who came occasionally to clean up the place.  She did the cooking herself. She tried to cook and store the food for a couple of days. But, Sagar didn't find it very appealing. So, she cooked daily.

She woke up at four in the morning.  She prayed daily. She was a firm believer. She did her chores, made breakfast, packed lunch boxes for the three of them and left home by half past six every day.  She was the one in-charge of dropping and picking Omar to and from school. Her office started at eight in the morning. 

As she laid the table, she thought - Omar would eat French Fries at school today. He loved to eat them. 

As they ate, she started the conversation.

" They found out about you." 

Sagar looked at her . " Who?" 

He thought his voice raised a bit louder than usual. Perhaps it had to do with his tiring day or his hungry stomach.

She narrated how she was questioned about his religion. And how she feared it would affect her job.

 " Why don't you resign from that  awful place? No one has the right to interfere in anyone's personal affairs. You can find a job in any other better Auditing Firms which are known for their work alone."  Meera looked away from  Sagar when he said so.

Both of them knew that it was not an easy task. Finding a job may be easy enough - but not relocating to another place. This Firm was a haven for Meera for many personal reasons. She was a respected employee with many years of experience. She would be treated as a new face anywhere else, should she change her job now. Moreover, she loved her workplace like her family. She felt comfortable being with her colleagues. Sagar wouldn't know that.

 And above all, she was safe here from her relatives who were frantically in search of her. They would kill her if they found out about her whereabouts. Her country  was also a land of honour-killings! In this Firm, no body actually knew her- the real Meera and her background.

Meera sat nibbling at her lunch. She didn't feel much of an appetite. Though Sagar sensed her palpitations, he chose to be quiet. He went to take his afternoon nap as soon as he had his lunch.

Sagar always stayed non-committed in such frivolous matters. He always saw people for their worth. For him, right was right and wrong was wrong. There was no grey area left in between.

He was also an expatriate worker. He followed a different faith than his employers and many of his colleagues. But he didn't see any difference in their dealings with him. He always enjoyed his rights. The quality of his work always stood out, and he was immensely praised for his calibre at his work place. 

Like all the fingers of a hand are not of the same size, no two people in a region may think alike. Pleasing everyone is an elephantine task which is almost impossible practically. So, it is better to keep oneself happy, so thought Sagar.