Chapter 13

" Naina, I need your help."

It was Sagar. He was on the phone with her. Naina was already busy with house work and her children. Unless she pulled out the books out of their bags, both her twins wouldn't sit for their homework.

It was five in the evening. Her husband had already left for the gym. She was at her study, persuading one of the twins to read her Hindi lesson aloud so that she could help her with her pronunciation.

" Sagar, I am sorry about Meera's present condition...,"

"...what I need is ...about her past..'" Sagar cut her short.

" I need to know about her past Naina. Perhaps you could help me,"

Naina could recognise the urgency in his voice. She was waiting for an opportunity to make a call to him and talk about the work place. A lot has happened since Meera's unexpected accident.

Last week she was called to the office by Mrs. Ishraqa, the Manager's secretary. She asked her about Meera's health and if she would ever be able to join back to duty.

" We're sorry to ask you. But, you are the only person we know, are close to her," the Manager , Mr. Sharafuddin Najwani spoke to her. It was the first time, he had ever spoken to her. He rarely interacted with the staff.

His being there with the secretary and their questioning her on Meera's present condition, already rang bells in her head. They are deciding about her removal from work!

" Could we have her husband's contact details, if possible?" It was the Manager.

Naina wondered how cold people could be when one of their most dedicated employees was  literally fighting for her life elsewhere.

Though some colleagues who were very close to Meera had visited her in the hospital, no one from the Management had bothered to even make a phone call to her husband.

There was no more details Naina could give them except Sagar's mobile number. She was happy to be out of the Manager's  office as fast as her legs could carry her. 

They always spoke in their own language even if the third person in their company was not from among them, which Naina thought was very insulting. She didn't want to correct them.

Her only motto at work place was to do her job honestly and go home. She was paid for her work. She didn't prefer teaching manners to people.

There was already a new staff member who was appointed in Meera's place. The employees were mere workers. When one was down, there was always another up and about. No one wanted to know about the private lives of a worker.

A leader is a person who leads whereas a boss is a person who orders, thought Naina. Unfortunately, there were no leaders at her work place, only Bosses! She thought bitterly.

=====================================================================================

" Naina, are you there," Sagar's voice made her return from her thoughts.

"Sagar, did they call you?"

" Who?"

"The Management!"

"No, Why?"

"They had taken your number from me."

"Hmm... I don't want to talk to anyone now. It is nearly four months now. I haven't heard anything from Meera's employers. When she was alive, she was made to labour like a donkey. Now, when she is fighting for her life, no one bothers at all!" Sagar knew that his voice raised a bit.

"Naina, can you help me with her past? I am an unfortunate man who doesn't even know about the past of his wife," Naina felt his voice dropping.

She had no much information about Meera other than that she was married to a Hindu man. They were happily married though.

Naina had met Meera at work place. The fact that they both came from the same geographical locations made them close friends. They belonged to different villages and regions. Naina didn't know much about Meera's family or her childhood.

No one expects such unfortunate situations in life. We all think adversity always happens with others. When we are suddenly faced with unexpected situations, we become blank. That is the truth of life. Fighting out of adversity is an art which only adversity itself teaches one.

e;\r\+5H