Chapter 6

Life suddenly changed for Sagar and Omar. They had to do everything on their own now.

Meera used to make sure that both her husband and son never struggled for anything at home. Never had they worried about shopping for grocery, cooking food, getting the house cleaned, washing or ironing clothes when she was around.

Taking care of Kitty, their pet cat, also seemed like an up-hill task for them now. Reena, their Sri Lankan house help, came twice a week and cleaned the house. Food was quite often bought from the restaurants nearby.

Meera used to make life very easy for them like in any other Indian household. But now, she is lying more or less like a corpse.

She had fell into a coma after the accident. It had been nearly a month now. She was still in the hospital. The doctor spoke to him yesterday once again, in order to make arrangements to move her out of the hospital.

'It is a miracle that she kicked herself back to life after that accident,' Dr. Hawrton comforted Sagar.

'...only to keep sleeping like a corpse?...' Sagar thought. Only if thoughts could be heard out louder!

.......................... .................................................. ..............................

He was hesitant to get her back home. Who would take care of her? On normal working days, Kitty was the only one at home after they left for work and school. He should arrange for someone to be at home to look after Meera once she was brought home.

He couldn't approach his family. He had severed ties with them when he married a Muslim girl. His mother was already dead and he had never seen his father. He had two of his elder brothers who lived with their families in the nearby cities. But no help could be expected of them, let alone pay a visit to the hospital to visit Meera.

They couldn't be blamed for their act. For, they were never introduced to Meera or Omar. Meera never knew about their existence. When they got married, Sagar never mentioned his family, nor did she ask him. Sagar never asked about her background either.

Dubai was such a place where everyone worked like ants during the week days. During the weekends, they partied or just relaxed at home. That was life. Friends took up the place of family. And, that too for a good reason. Good friends seldom criticized or gossiped like family members did.