Chapter 8

Sagar had met Meera through email contacts . In the 1990s Internet had just made its presence felt in the society. Email was the 'in thing' then. He doesn't remember how he had got her email ID then. Perhaps from a CV he might have come across or from chat rooms he must have visited.

Whatever it was, he doesn't remember. He only remembers meeting her the first time- at the Corniche, in Sharjah. They had made plans to meet in front of the Gold Souk where a lot of people usually strolled during the weekends..

The moment he laid eyes on her, he knew it was her. She hadn't shared any photographs of her yet. But, he knew.

The slim beauty with long black jet of hair tied in a loose knot. She wore a red printed top with black polka dots. The dhoti-pants were black, so was the long shawl she had left over her shoulders carelessly. Her dark lip shade only enhanced her creamy complexion. She had beautiful intense eyes lined with kohl and perfectly shaped eye brows.

The very first time he had laid his eyes on her, he knew she was his girl.

....................................................................................................................

Mostafa sat thoughtful. His wife had left their three year old daughter with him when she went out for grocery shopping down the building where they were residing in Ajman. Looking at his playful daughter, he suddenly remembered the daughter of Meera.

She must be grown up now. Must be in her late teens or perhaps had hit her twenties- he would never know. He had never seen her in person.

Talking to Sagar had taken him a long way back in time already. He knew Sagar was not to be blamed. It was not his mistake .Nor was his own!

Was it Meera's? No, it was not her mistake either. It was just fate!

He blamed himself for meeting up with Sagar. He feared for Meera's life now. He had always hated her. He had wanted to see her dead. But now, after seeing her in that pathetic medical condition, between life and death, he felt sorry for her, for the first time in his entire life.

The look Sagar had in his eyes after learning the truth about her was not definitely a peaceful one.

When he had seen the newspaper reports, his first reaction was shock. Then he felt satisfied. God had heard his prayers finally. Next few days pushed him into an intense feeling to visit her. To see her helpless in front of him. To celebrate his victory. 

But what he had seen, brought his lost feelings for her now. He saw a corpse there,instead of the active young girl he used to love. His young wife was very different from the woman he saw at the hospital. He wished he hadn't visited her at all.