Chapter 4

"You have given me something that I can't live without, You mustn't underestimate that when you are in doubt,"

Love In The Dark -Adele

It was a Friday night in Los Angeles, and it seemed like everyone who was on the list to get into LUX showed up all at once. The lineup was out the door and far beyond the block. So when Chloe parked the car on the side street, she automatically sighed and began to move towards the back of the line out of habit. There was no way they were getting in before morning at this rate.

"Darling, why are we stopping here? This lineup is dreadfully long," Lucifer whines.

With a long sigh and a highly raised eyebrow, Chloe questions. "What do you propose we do? Pull out our guns and threaten everyone out of line with the intent put a cap in their ass unless we can take their spot in line?"

"As fun as that sounds Detective," he says looking up, thinking. "And fun and you usually don't consist in the same sentence so believe me I would consider it. However, you seem to be forgetting something that makes this whole ordeal easier. I own this place and have the key to the back door. And the bouncer knows me, so we can get in anytime or anyway. You pick Detective."

Chloe rolls her eyes. Partially at how conceited Lucifer is at owning this club, and the other part at forgetting this detail about his actual occupation. Sure, he may be her partner, but to Chloe it was still unofficial. As much as she couldn't admit right away that she did enjoy working with him.

Lucifer struts right past her, a certain sway within his grounded steps. His suit jacket flaring slightly in the light breeze, his elongated arms swinging at a constant rate. All he has to do is swing the bulky bouncer a look, and both himself and Chloe are granted beyond the red velvet rope. The music is softer than most clubs, and much lighter. This is certainly not the typical place. The elegant piano in the middle of the space gives a certain grace and mature vibe to the whole place. The lights are strobe or colorful, which again brings class.

Chloe has only been in here and handful of times but each time she is still shocked at how different the place is compared to many of the clubs in Los Angeles. Lucifer descends the stairs with one hand on the railing, but before he gets too far he twists his torso to face Chloe, who is still on the top floor before the stairs. Like a true gentleman, he holds out one hand. His palm out and up, ready to guide her past the unfamiliar faces lining the stairs. With slight hesitation she accepts the gesture, and his slender fingers wrap around her dainty wrist and leading her with the lightest of pressure.

Maze has a stare that could shatter the very glass she is cleaning. Her hand is wrapped in the dish towel shoved down the beer glass, but her nails look as though they could go right through the towel and find their way into Chloe's skin. Chloe might not have been able to admit it to herself, but a part of her was terrified by Maze's presence. However, Lucifer trusted her, so maybe a part of her did too. Just not quite as much.

"Maze! Your finest please!"

"You think she can handle it?" Maze questions.

"Don't be haste Maze. And we will have it in the room in the back," Lucifer requests.

Maze slams the bottle down on the counter. "The room?"

"Yes Maze, the room."

Chloe's eyes are darting between the two and she almost feels uncomfortable watching them. Lucifer slyly snakes his hand back into Chloe's and begins to walk, once again pulling her gently towards his intended destination. His hand leaves her momentarily so he can grab the singular silver key from his back pocket. The door slips open, and the first thing Chloe notices is how dimly lit the place is. Just enough to see where you are going and who you are with, and nothing else more. Yet despite the darkness it feels strangely welcoming. There is chairs and a large couch in which Lucifer goes to, and fluff out the back of his jacket before sitting down. He crosses his legs and pats the space beside him, and Chloe takes her place while leaving space between them.