Chapter 10

"There is so much space between us, maybe we're already defeated,"

Love In The Dark -Adele

For a prestigious University, it wasn't hard for Lucifer to find a way to break in. The locked front gate was not actually locked, nor were the bars even close, so squeezing through was easy. Then the security key was still left in the door at the main buildings entrance, everything was just too easy. However, the part that was not easy was finding a way into the basement. Lucifer had been walking around tirelessly for what felt like forever, he could have even sworn he heard a scream at some point, but it was so small and weak, he debated if his mind was playing tricks on him. He couldn't even tell where the sound was coming from, and this whole search was feeling hopeless.

Until he spotted the only classroom with a light still on at this late hour. Even with the clock reading way past midnight, a certain professors sits once again behind his mahogany desk. Loaded to the hilt with papers, pens skewed everywhere, and his head not visible and only his feet give away any impression he is still there. The sign on the door says 'Class In Session', yet no students are to be seen.

"Hello?" Lucifer says into the empty space, much like he had only hours ago.

"I'm busy," the same voice rings out.

"LAPD is back, and I need your help," Lucifer admits.

The man stands from behind the desk. "You again? What do you need?" Brent asks, his voice caring yet strong. He genuinely seems interested in helping out.

"A lesson in law and punishment. What do you think? We found out who the killer is. However, he kidnapped my partner. I think I know where he took her, but I need your help," Lucifer explains with sass and urgency.

Brent's face morphs into horror. "I am sorry sorry Lucifer. Anything I can do to help I will-"

"Yes, well as I already stated there is a lack of time in our predicament," Lucifer says cutting him off, his own urgency taking over everything in his mind. "I have been informed that this school has an unused basement. I need to be able to get down there. I believe that is where our killer is hiding out."

"As faculty we aren't allowed to go down there, nor any student. Is the killer a fellow student? Oh my gosh, whoever it is could have been hiding right here in this very school, placing every student in danger. He also could have known how to get into the basement-" Brent begins to click all the puzzle pieces in his head that Lucifer already connected. "-and there is only one way down. I'd have to look at some blueprints and find the key-"

"Then do it man!" Lucifer shouts impatiently. He knows this is no way to act, but his mind is clouded. Brent runs to behind his desk and begins to fuddle with his papers. Lucifer looks to the roof of this classroom in frustration. His eyes tell him that this is just a plain white ceiling, but in his mind her has already made a connection with his father despite the blockage. Almost completely silent, he whispers "Don't you dare take her yet Father. I told you, I begged you. Not yet. Tell her to hold on."

xxxxxxxxxx

The complaining first began with the fact that he had already stretched to wound to it's limits. Then, that the angle was all wrong and it was also a few inches off from his original plan of incision. Lastly, Thomas complained about wasting time, and the fact that he would now have to restart. Not to mention, when he had snipped the nerve in Chloe's interior, the pain had almost made her pass out. Even worse, right after he had snipped it, he complained that his medical scissors were dull, and the nerve had only been partially cut. Chloe could picture the nerve only holding together by a string of sorts. He had to wait for her to slightly recover for his plan to see how a living body could function without it's vital organs. In the end, he had to take off the clamp holding Chloe's skin apart, and sloppily place a couple of staples in her skin. Once again, everything in this process was done without anesthesia.