Chapter 11

Whenever Lucifer's primal instincts took over, all he was able to see was red. Like he was wearing sunglasses that were tinted, affecting everything he saw. This heat seemed to run throughout his entire body, and locate primarily in his head. It felt like power was running through his veins, being carried everywhere and radiating through his confidence. Only moments ago he had told Brent to go meet the police outside, giving him privacy to begin his attempts at getting in. Taking slow perfected steps backwards as a preparation, Lucifer thought to himself that the door was coming down one way or another, and he took his first steps towards ramming it. Knowing his effort was in vain before he even connected with the door, he accepted the anger that rushed through him as his shoulder hit the steel first and he felt it dislocate directly perpendicular from its socket. It didn't cause him any pain, it felt more like a prick.

In a blinding fixation, his transformation completes. Make no mistake that if anyone saw him now, their spine would be chilled to the bone. To say his skin was crimson would only just scratch the reality of the color surrounding and empowering him. His hand felt rigid as they made their way into a fist, and he could feel his toes curl. Something about the way he felt when he was like this, power rushing through him so fast that it was almost like a comfort to him. A reality that couldn't be escaped, but yet something he would never want to be rid of. Lucifer had fully welcomed this part of himself, accepting that there was no need to change his true identity because it made it who he was. Sure, he didn't want to look like this all the time which is why he covered it with his other persona and more pleasing face. But to him, even this hidden portion was beautiful. The red and black eyes resembling the very fires in which he calls home, and the horns of sorts in various ways on his skin.

It's like his brain had been at war with himself over this past month with Chloe. While a part of him wanted to just show Chloe his true self, another wanted to hide it from her. If he showed her, she might reject him, or be afraid. Normally when people stare at Lucifer in this form, the looks of their faces look like they are about to be hit by an oncoming train. Lucifer loves that reaction, it gives him a sense of entitlement and dominance. But Lucifer's dreams had been haunted with Chloe looking at him with the same expression, and it no longer felt empowering. It felt like an overwhelming sense of guilt, hurt, and regret. If there was one person he couldn't stand to let down or hurt...it was Chloe. Lucifer chuckled at the irony that in order to save Chloe he has to use the side of him that he never wanted to use around Chloe.

God works in mysterious ways...

Grabbing the handle on the door, he allows the heat within his body to flow into the steel knob. Closing his eyes, he give away everything he has within him and allows the sound of steel cackling and melting to fill his ears. The door also begins to heat and melt away, the drops creating a metallic puddle at the bottom frame. When Lucifer opens his eyes, nothing else stands before him. Relief washes over him as he quickly is returned to his regular self. Allowing his feet to carry him at the same pace as his heart, he races inside the frame. Along the way, he is ignoring all possible danger from the metal around him or what lies within the darkness, for at the bottom of the stairs lay his love.

Chloe was not as he had seen her only hours ago. Her face was bruised, her eye swollen beyond belief. Lucifer makes the quick assumption that someone must have hit her quite hard, and he can feel that rage creep back into him. She was no longer wearing her blouse he remembered, but rather a hospital gown of sort, the whole thing covered in sticky red blood. Her body is slump against the first step and Lucifer throws himself to the floor, snaking his arms around her waist. Pulling her close, his first instinct is to check for a pulse but he ignores it for his stronger instinct. Feeling reassurance at finding her, he places his lips upon her forehead. Lingering there for as long as he can, Lucifer shuts his eyes in the moment, he begins savoring it. Letting himself take in a breath he hadn't been able to in all his worry and fast paced investigating, it fills his lungs in contentment. Breathing out, he opens his eyes and tears himself away from her momentarily, immediately feeling the absence of her skin as he lifts his lips from her.