Chapter 13: Ring of Hearts

Two Hours Later: The Park

   Jefferson dragged Regina along, walking past a few people in the park even though it was late.  "What are we doing here, James?" She asked because they had already eaten.

   "You'll see," he insisted.

   Finally, they reached the public telescope and she scoffed at him.  "What, are we gonna stargaze for a quarter?"

   He chucked.  "No.  You're going to see something special.  Just wait," he said and pulled out a quarter.

   He adjusted the telescope to point at exactly what he wanted and slipped the coin in.  "Look! Quickly."

   She shook her head and put her eye up to the lens.  She smiled brightly as she gripped the telescope body.  "Jeffy, it's the house."

   "Yeah.  Remember all the times there?"

   "Yes," she said, looking away and pulling him into a hug.

He pulled away, holding her hands as he stared into her eyes. "I am so glad I didn't lose you. I would've gone insane again. I just can't live without you," he insisted as she shook her head.

"You can Jefferson. You love me and I love you, but you don't need me. You don't need me to happy at least and I don't need you to be happy. Grace makes you happy, Henry makes me happy. But that doesn't mean I don't love you."

He pondered for a second, taking in her words. "You're right. I mean, Grace does make me happy, but you do too."

"We don't need each other, but we want each other," she said as he chuckled.

"That is definitely true," he said, pulling her into a passionate kiss that quickly grew heated.

"Wait..." She whispered, parting from his lips. "Is the house the only reason you brought me up here?"

A smug grin grew on his face as she pursed her lips at him. I'm about to propose to her again. I just wanna make it special.

He took her hands into his and smiled at her. He was also incredibly nervous and Regina picked up on it, even though they were technically already engaged. He took a deep breath before saying, "Regina, I love you with all my heart and you are my soulmate. You are my true love. At first I saw you as a klutz and I hadn't even seen your face. You're a cute klutz and I looked into your eyes and saw pain. I wanted to rid you of that and I couldn't, that broke my heart seeing you turn into the Evil Queen. I talked to Ariel the mermaid for advice and nothing seemed to help with my feelings for you. That's because they were true, they were and are real."

"Then you came to my house asking for help. Even though you thought you were hiding it, I could see the pain and loneliness in your big brown eyes. I hated that. I always wanted to see you smile and I didn't see you truly smile until after I kissed you outside Granny's. Fast forward a bunch of years and we meet again. I said some things that I still regret and then I admitted my love for you and I kissed you."

"You gave me a potion so we'd forget. Then another set of stupid years passed without you. I asked for your help this time and you complied. I fell in love with you again. We struggled with our feelings so much that it took several people and then eventually ourselves to convince us. And when you kissed me, my whole world changed. I loved you and I still do, now I want to make this love permanent."