Chapter 16

Lal Bahadur Shastri Hospital and two more hospitals were attached to our college. One was the LNT hospital, a civil hospital, and the other was the Red Cross hospital, which was a missionary hospital. We used to have clinical postings at all the three places by rotation. LNTH was situated about 10 km, and Red Cross about 4 km from LBSH. We had to travel back and forth by college buses.

Our journeys to and from clinics used to be great fun. Boys in my batch made so much noise on the way that when compared, the kindergarten children are far better. They would sing songs loudly or keep on shouting slogans taking somebody's name. The usual target was Ravi Pawar as he never participated in all this, and sat at a window seat, head deep down in some book. Be it class or anywhere else, whenever a question was asked as to 'who did this?' Everyone would shout 'Pawar Pawar'!

There was a rough patch on the road full of trenches onthe way to LNTH. Whenever our bus would pass over it, guys would keep shouting 'ow' 'ow' with every passing trench. One day the bus driver got very irritated. He gave warning twice, to stop the noise. However the shouting went on increasing. Finally he took the bus to the left and parked it. Initially, boys thought he was just creating drama, but he refused to start the bus. To resolve the crisis, we all gave in writing that we won't make noise in future, only then he started the bus.

We never wasted our 'valuable' time in the bus. We would always utilize the time while waiting for the other batch students to return from clinics. Once we played 'dumb-charades', girls vs boys. As the other batch students came, they too joined us. We all had so much fun playing that even after reaching our college we continued playing through the lunch break, and then straightaway went for the practicals. One day we played 'KBC' or 'Kaun Banega Crorepati'. Avinash acted as 'Big B', and he mimicked Amitabh Bacchan too well, right from his stance and accent to his characteristic voice. He called us one by one on the 'hot seat', and asked really stupid and funny questions with equally entertaining multiple choice answers.

One day, as we approached the clinic bus, we found it decorated with colourful balloons and ribbons. "Why is the bus decorated?" We asked the bus driver. We guessed it was the anniversary of the bus, or something like that.

"I don't know who did it and I can't answer if anybody questions me," he sounded irritated.

As we sat inside the bus, I saw some mischievous boys of our batch carrying balloons in their hands, enter the bus. A few minutes later, Miss Beautiful climbed the bus, looking more beautiful than ever. The moment she stepped inside all the boys stood up and started clapping and singing, 'Happy birthday to you!'

Oh, so this was the celebration! Sasha'a birthday! Sasha made her typical I – don't – give – a – damn face, and sat on her seat. As all of us noticed her expression we started laughing.

"Boys will be boys," Nayana exclaimed.

One day, I, Sufee and Nayana missed our clinic bus ( because on our way to the bus we passed Anatomy Department and found a group of juniors. Sufee made us slow our pace as she wanted to do some 'bird-watching'). The bus left just as we reached the spot.

"Damn it Sufee! Now we can do bird-watching for the rest of the clinic hours!" I said angrily.

"Don't get hyper-excited Ruta. Let's go on my Scooty." Sufee was calm as usual.

"What about me?" Nayana asked.

"We'll go triple seat," Sufee said, already walking towards her Scooty.

"Are you mad Sufee? There are 2 traffic signals and 4 traffic police on the way," I said.

"So?" Sufee can be really irritating sometimes.