Chapter 8

One evening, I, Nayana and Sufee were sitting on the hostel steps.

"Do you see that katta?" Nayana asked, pointing towards an old oak tree, around which, a cement katta had been constructed for sitting. 

This oak tree stood between the girls and boys hostels. 

 "Do you know why is it famous?" Nayana asked. 

We both shook our heads. 

"Whenever a couple forms in LBSMC, this is the first place they go on a date. This oak tree is very old, and it has seen thousands of couples form under its shade, over the years! Every batch has its own katta records," Nayana said. 

 "Just yesterday, seniors were asking us who will make the katta famous from our batch," Sneha said, joining us on the steps. 

 "Has to be Miss Beautiful," Sufee said. 

 By then, Savita, Shabana, Vibha and a few other girls came with tea in their hands, to sit on the steps.

 "Discussing about katta?" Shabana asked. 

 "Hey, here's the answer," I said, "Shabana and Avinash!" 

 "There's nothing like that, we are just good friends!" Shabana blushed. 

 "How about you Ruta?" Vibha asked. 

 "What about me? I don't have anyone!" I protested. 

 Sufee got excited at the prospect of teasing me. 

 "You don't have anyone? Vivek on left side, Arun on right side, Jay ahead, Rohit behind, what else do you want?" she said in a seductive tone, making everyone laugh. 

 "Hey, that's because of roll numbers!" I said. 

 "Roll number is just an excuse!" someone said. 

 "Wait wait, let me choose for you. I think Arun would be perfect." Sufee said with a wide smile. 

 "Oh, please Sufee!" I began. 

 "Why not? He cares so much for you! That day you fainted, he held you." Sufee said. 

 "That's because he was standing next to me!" I said. 

 "No, that's because he is your 'Prince Charming', who came to rescue his damsel in distress." 

Sufee was enjoying this. I placed my palm on my forehead.

"The other day, Ruta went on a date with Arun," Sufee announced.

"A date?" all girls chorused dramatically.

"Shut up Sufee. We just had coffee," I said.

"In CCD," Sufee announced again.

"CCD??" Chorus

"Oh my God!" I exclaimed.

"You both are totally MFEO," she continued. 

 "Now what's that?" I was exasperated. 

 "Made For Each Other!" Sufee said, to which all girls cheered and high-fived each other. 

 "In that case, I must tell Ruta the second place to date in LBSMC," Nayana said. 

 "And what is it?"Sufee asked. 

 "Central Library!" Nayana said.

******