Chapter Eleven

Sitting by a window, Emily watched as carriages went by in the street and people walked past on the sidewalk. It was sunny, pleasant day, even for being in town, and there were many taking advantage of the fine weather.

"Emily! Did you hear a word of what I just said? Emily?"

Startled, Emily turned back to her aunt and the visitors that were there. "Forgive me," she apologized. "I was not paying attention, aunt. You were saying?"

Lady Amelia Ormund, her father's only sister, shook her head reprovingly. "I was just saying to Mrs. Finch how much you were admired at Almack's last night," she said. "You danced every dance, did you not?"

"Yes, I did," Emily responded without enthusiasm. "I am told the event was considered a great success."

"And your cousin was making himself very agreeable, was he not?" Mrs. Finch, a heavyset woman, said suggestively. Her smile was wise, and annoyed Emily greatly. "I declare I must have seen you stand up with him at least twice."

Emily just smiled tightly and made no comment. She stopped listening once again as her aunt directed the conversation to the gowns she had seen at the previous night's ball.

Lady Amelia was a tall, thin woman. She had the Lawrence brown hair and blue eyes. She was a widow, with two sons, the younger of which had joined the militia and was stationed north. Having no daughters to launch into society, she had taken her brother's daughter under her wing with all enthusiasm.

Often though, in times such as this, Emily found her thoughts going back to Lawrence Manor, wondering how Rosalind was...and whether or not Mr. Williams was being accepted into the Ambershire community.

"Miss Lawrence?"

Again, Emily forced herself to focus on the conversation. This time, it was Mrs. Finch's daughter who'd addressed her. "My, your head really is in the clouds," Lorna Finch said, her tone teasing. "I vow you must be thinking of your cousin?"

"Actually, yes," Emily admitted in surprise. As delight appeared in Miss Finch's eyes, Emily continued, "I do miss her so very much. Rosalind had to stay behind when I came to London. I was just thinking how much she would have enjoyed London. She lived here once, after all."

"Oh. I was referring to Sir Percival," Miss Finch said with a frown. She shook her head and smiled coyly. "Everyone says you and he will make a match of it before the season is over."

Fingering her embroidery, Emily shook her head. "Everyone is very much mistaken," she responded firmly. "Though, I suppose that explains why all the eligible men Aunt Amelia promised me have been keeping their distance," she said almost to herself.

"Sir Percival has made it plain that he regards you with great esteem," Miss Finch said with wide, blue eyes. "Everyone knows that you are practically engaged!"

Emily glanced once more at the street below. She immediately recognized her tall cousin walking up to the front door. "That is not the case," she explained to her visitor. "There is no agreement between myself and my cousin, nor is there likely to ever be one. And you may tell that to anyone who says otherwise."

"Oh, I see," Miss Finch responded, a note of delight in her voice. "I shall certainly do as you ask."

The young lady turned away as her mother was getting to her feet. "Oh, of course you will," Emily muttered, standing up. She bid the callers farewell and once they had gone, faced her aunt. "I have to write a letter, Aunt. Please excuse me."

"Of course, of course," Lady Amelia responded, hesitantly, "only Percival said he would be coming by today. He will be expecting to see you."

"Thank you, Aunt," Emily said cheerfully, already going to the door. "Offer my excuses to him."