Chapter 4- Your Not Worth It

People are so unpredictable. One moment they are the best with you an the nest they are just backstabbing you. Well, after some time, you just stop feeling it. But this behaviour of theirs makes you learn a big lesson in life- 'At the end, no matter how many companions you have, it's your journey and you have to go all alone.'

The entire night, my mind kept playing flashbacks of what Hailey said. From the sweet one to the mean one, she changed in the click of your fingers. Her words kept replaying in my head, no matter how hard I tried to get rid of them. It was as if I was deep in thoughts, reluctantly.

Currently, the dance was going on. Everyone, wearing masks was on the dance floor, slow dancing whereas I, on the other side pretty much just looked like a lone bone. I clenched my jaw when I saw Justin and Hailey together.

They looked so happy. Justin had his arm wrapped around her waist, pulling her closer to him every now and then. Whenever Justin would say something to her, she'd laugh aloud and push her face into his shoulder. Talking about what they wore, Justin wore a royal blue suit and Hailey wore a revealing sky blue gown which had a long slit. She had her hair tied in a messy bun and I had to admit, she looked a bit attractive-

"A bit? Sorry, Cassey but she looks really hot." A raspy voice called out from behind, startling me.

Wait. Oh lord. Don't tell me I said that aloud.

"You did, sweetheart." I turned around to find Chris staring at me, amused.
"Oh. It's you." I rolled my eyes and turned around.
"Wow! You look so pleased to see me." Chris said and sat next to me on the posh black leather couch.
"What do you want?" I blurted, looking at him.
"What do I want? Well, I want a dance 'cuz a pretty girl like you shouldn't be sitting here all alone." He emphasised on 'alone'. I get it. He's mocking me.
"I don't wanna' dance." I bit my lip. Honestly, I did. It's been a while since I last danced.
"Oh, come on! Your face clearly tells that disapproving such a great invitation by such a charming guy like me, isn't your thing." He rolled his eyes, grasped my hand and dragged me to the dance floor. "So, you are dancing with me and that's final."

I whined as he pulled me into the dance floor.

"Just one dance, okay?" I said- more of like asked as I put one hand in his shoulder and held his hand by the other.
"Just one dance, baby." He smirked.
"Don't baby me, Chris." I warned.

As his arm slipped round my waist, my breath hitched. He pulled me closer but still maintained a respectful distance between the two of us, after all it was just a dance. Nothing more.

I looked behind Chris, watching Justin and Hailey closely. And from the corner of my eye, I felt Chris's eyes burning deep into my skin. But I ignored him.

He twirled me around. I blushed.

'What in the world? Am I dreaming? Is it the cow faced Cassandra Manchester King blushing? Bet she must look much worser." My subconscious laughed as I sighed.

We danced for a while until the host declared the exchange of partners. Chris pulled his arm out my waist and turned around, walking over to Hailey and starting to dance with her.

Shit.

Shit.

Shit.

That left me and Justin.

Oh Lord. Save me.

My breath hitched as Justin walked over to me and pulled his hand out. "A dance, my lady?"

As I pulled my hands out to get his, I felt my fingers shaking but I proceeded, until our hands met and the same sparks flew in my mind. Glad that I accepted, Justin came closer and wrapped his arm around my waist.

I wanted to push him away, curse and walk away. But I couldn't. I just couldn't. I felt paralysed. As if, now, he was the one who controlled my body and not me.

A shiver ran down my spine when he held my other hand and started slow dancing. I couldn't breath. It was as if the whole world turned off when he did so, leaving only him and me, all alone.

"You look beautiful." He whispered in my ears.
"T-Thank you." I stuttered. F*ck!
"You know I really like turquoise." He looked up at my face and smiled.

And that's when I finally got a closer view of his face after a bunch of long months. He had started growing a stubble on his chin. His eyes sparkled like diamonds under the dim lights of the hall. His 'now grown hair' was brushed back. And his lips were pink and swollen-

'And that's where Hailey pops in.' My subconscious smirked.

"I thought you liked purple."
"But those 6 months and 10 days with you-"
"Please." I interrupted him. "Your about to get married, Justin. Hailey wouldn't like this."
"It she doesn't know what we had." He came closer, leaving only a few inches between our faces.
"I'm glad she doesn't or else, she wouldn't have ever trusted you like how I did back then." My voice turned monotonous.

Justin turned silent.

"Maybe you'll never understand those sleepless nights-"
"Oh! So you think that I slept like a-"
"I don't want to fight with you, Cassandra." Justin's voice turned deeper.
"Neither did I, Justin. Neither did I a few months back. But you never understood." My eyes turned watery. "You never will."

He looked down after noticing the tears building up in my eyes. I expected him to console me and tell me that he was really sorry but instead, he just looked down and whispered with a dull tone in his voice, "Thank you for the dance."

And with that, he walked away. Great.

Men like him are just players. F*cking players!

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.--.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.--.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.---.-.-.-.-.-.-.-..-.-..-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
Authors Note-
Just a filler but I'm glad they finally spoke. Anyway please do vote and comment. It means the world.

Thnx,
The Author