Chapter 1

*Aidan's p.o.v*

My mind is blank as my heart pace quickened, my feet bouncing off of the gravel leaving pieces behind, nothing is on my mind. My only thought is finishing these last two laps.

"Aidan. Aidan." Coach Lisa shouted my name twice before I finally stopped.

My heart racing and my breath heavy. I could feel the tiny beads of sweat prance down my forehead and fall onto the ground.

"You ran over 4 laps." she tells me, scribbling down the number of laps I made and the time they took on my paper.

Four laps is a lot, but they aren't enough when you're focused on making the world disappear.

I sit on the wooden bleachers to let my mind slow down so I could think properly. pulling back my hair that is now damp due to the humidity, swear, and the six laps.

My eyes travel to the crowd of students that stand by the locker rooms, and the boy that sits a few feet away and above me. He quietly draws in his journal just like I saw him do every day. His light brown curls fall in front of his face and his had moves so quickly that you'd never grasp whatever it was he did in that journal.

My curiosity isn't strong enough to let me ask him either. Instead, I get up and prepare to run another few laps before going home.

What it is that running does for me was a feeling I can't explain. The accelerated feeling I get when I'm so into it that it would tear me apart but I couldn't stop. That feeling like something was chasing you and you had to get away. That's what it was. I was running from life; the love, hurt, pain, happiness, sorrow, and responsibilities that accompanied it.

I'm not sure if I was chasing or running more.

The sun finally set while I tied my wet waved hair in a bun. I was the only one who stayed here this late. No one else was hiding from my troubles though. No one else thought of the bad things while in a happy situation, and no one else knew what went on inside of my mind.

I always go to the locker rooms at 4, the time where I knew I'd be done around 5:30. The time where I'd be home in time enough to watch it from my roof.

and I do that. I watched the sun set from my roof top and would let my empty dark thoughts fade with it.

Once the sun is set I climb into my window, turn off my light, and drift off to sleep.

>>>>>>>

"Aidan!" mum calls from down stairs.

I pretend not to hear her and throw my pillow atop my head.

"AIDAN!" her wedges clamp against the hard staircase each time she goes up a step.

I knew she only walked half way up just to be sure that I listened to anything she said.

I get out of the bed, slowly sitting on the edge,contemplating what I would wear and why I didn't want to attend class. Thinking of track practice is the only thing that would keep me fueled throughout the day.

"Aidan, today I shouted your name at least three times before you got up." my mother complains, spreading jam on her toast.

"It was twice and look who isn't even close to being late." I remark.

I enjoyed being late though. I got ready at my own pace and could think on the way to school without the distractions of students yelling or talking. Some days I would walk and I would be able to collect my thoughts if I knew I would have a bad day.

I walk today because last night it rained and now it was just a little windy. The best days are after it finishes raining. Moisture is in the air and it's easier for me to think. Stepping in the evaporated water puddle, I hum.