Chapter 8 - Animals

Arianna's POV

I awoke groggily to find myself tied to a bed and gagged. The clammy feel of the cotton handkerchief shoved in my mouth was anything but pleasant. I heaved on the heavy chains binding me to the bedpost but to no avail. It was sturdier than it looked and I was not at my peak performance either.

"I am a pitiful excuse for a vampire.' I grumbled silently to myself.

I sighed loudly in frustration, making a mental note to feed at least once a day. My sympathy for humans was the reason why I wasn't as strong as I should be. I would just have to try to get over that qualm or at least figure out a healthier diet plan; with Xavier's men after me, I needed to be able to protect myself. I mean look at me, I'm held captive by a human for God's sake!

"Great." I tried to say out loud but all I heard was a garbled "Wubgh". Damn handkerchief.

I look around my cell taking the details in. The small, dusty bedroom was clearly no home to any living being apart from the tiny termites teeming on the wooden roof trusses above the ceiling. The sound of their munching drones a dull tune, which I could definitely do without. The once white wall paint was bubbled and peeling; the carpet was worn out and faded and rainbows danced off the minute dust particles frolicking in the morning sunlight streaming in.

I put my head back down onto the dust-filled pillow and closed my eyes. The dull throb at the back of my head was slowly ceasing, but was still as annoying as a chimpanzee on crack.

Well I had gotten what I had wanted hadn't I? I was now in a position to communicate with a Lanchester. It was not the best of positions nor one that I had anticipated, but it would have to do.

The sound of a shoe crunching against blades of grass alerted me to my visitor. I let my mouth hang open slightly as if I were asleep and curled up into a sleeping position. 

He was mumbling to himself as he stepped into the room. Inaudible to the human ear, his voice was as clear as crystal to me.

"Damn vampire. Way too much trouble regardless of the benefits. Me and my brilliant ideas."

My lips twitched wanting to pull up into a smile. It was quite pleasurable knowing that I was causing my captor some trouble. After all, he did tie and gag me like a bloody animal.

The sunlight which a moment ago had been hitting my face was now blocked out by the silhouette of my visitor. He stood alongside my bed looking down at me. I was waiting for a "Wake up leech!" or something to that effect when suddenly a shit load of iced water was splashed unceremoniously on my head. 

I gasped, jerking awake, probably looking like Simba from 'The Lion King' when he gets out of the lake after Nala had pushed him in. Yes, I might be over a hundred years old but I have watched "The Lion King". Numerous times.

"Bastard!" is the first word that spits out of my mouth but obviously my curse is put to waste as once again I hear myself saying "Wubgh".

I look up at the tall man smirking next to me.

'Wakey wakey leech." Aah, there it is.

"You were starting to smell so I thought I'd help you out. You should be grateful you know. You don't get showering privileges."

I tried to growl at him but he just let out a throaty laugh at my attempt.

He abruptly stopped laughing and the smirk vanished from his face. All that remained was a blank face portraying no emotion.

Aah, down to business then, are we?

"I'm going to say this once and once only. Disobey me and you'll find yourself at the bottom of the Thames. Now listen closely. I can't keep you here. If people keep seeing me coming down here it will look suspicious and I'm having a hard enough time ditching my damn baby sitter. So, I'm going to be a bigger idiot than I already am and I'm going to take you into the main house."