Chapter 6 - Saved

James POV

Waking up the next morning with the exasperating events of last night hanging over my head was unpleasant to say the least. To top it off, the slight cough and shuffle that muffled through the locked door made it impossible not to notice the fact that there was a guard posted outside my bedroom.

Once I was showered and changed, I left my room to find a relatively short, bulky man, with a black knock-offsuit stationed outside. His dark hair swept to the side in a Cary Grant fashion and it contrasted greatly with his tan skin. His eyes held no hint of friendliness and his hands clasped tightly behind his back. This guard was here for business and business only. I guess my father had learnt his lesson from the last time I was assigned a babysitter.

It was seven years ago and I was sixteen. I had been grounded for something or the other, and like now, my father had had enough. He knew that having someone tail me all day would restrict my rebellious activities.What he did not take into account was the possibility of me becoming friends with my young guard, and getting him to go along with my insubordinate plans. Needless to say, my father was not taking any chances now.

I was awarded a curt nod from Cary Grant before I made my way down to the dining room. My hopes of breakfasting alone - as alone as I can be with a guard - were dashed when I opened the ornate, double doors to find my mother still eating.

She looked up at me and smiled. “Ah. James darling, come and eat. Your father just finished up but I have been prolonging my meal in the hopes of catching you. Come, come. Chef’s made your favourite; pain au chocolat. Must I pour you a cup of tea?”

I had made my way to the chair across from her when she patted the one next to her and looked at me sternly. I sighed resignedly and made my way around the table to where my seat awaited me.

Mother poured me a cup of tea and added two sugars, just how she knew I liked it. I thanked her and began to take a sip of the scalding liquid when she said, “You know, you and I never spend any time with each other anymore.”

She paused to delicately take a sip of her own tea and continued, “I know you’re all grown up and don’t need your mother as much but I miss spending time with you. Oh, we had much fun, didn’t we? Remember when we painted the spare bedroom in the East wing? I have no idea what possessed us into thinking we’d do a good job of it but we did it anyway. It took us how many washes to get the paint out of our hair?"

"Eleven, I think Mother.” I supplied gently, remembering the incident.

She took another sip of tea, smiling fondly at the memory and lapsed into silence. We both finished our tea,and I waited patiently for what I was sure to come.

“James.” My name on her lips was a tired whisper.

It was one of sadness, defeat and resignation. I hadn’t noticed it before but she looked weary and drained. Occasions where she was truly happy and carefree were becoming less frequent.

“I know you have your reasons for doing what you do. Even though it angers your father and the Elders, and they might not see the depth behind your intentions, I do. I cannot say that I am completely happy about what you have been getting up to, but I can say that I understand why you felt the need to take the initiative. The greater part of me wishes you wouldn’t have gotten into this mess in the first place, but I've always known that it couldn’t have been any other way.”

She sighed, shaking her head. “Maybe it’s my fault for raising you to be an independent, confident young man who stands up for what he believes in. Or maybe it’s your father's, for showing you how to command and lead those who are willing to stand behind you. I really don’t know. But I do know that whatever happens, I’ll always love you and will always stand by you. I might have to give you a smack on the back of the head occasionally, but I’ll always be here for you, James.”