Chapter 3

"Alice?" Maxine's hand shook mine causing me to snap my attention to her and away from my book. "You've been quiet all morning." She pointed out. I shrugged casually, "Just tired." My left arm was propped up on my elbow, my head tilted; resting my head on my hand as I blankly looked at her. I wasn't lying to her, I really am tired, however I didn't mention it was the tired you could've fixed with sleep.

Maxine munched on her lunch before she started interrogating me again. "This morning you told me Louis had driven you too school. After, I asked you why and you guys have been talking about; you brushed me off like I didn't matter to you. Then, you haven't said a word after. God damn it, Alice. What's wrong?" Her voice rose as she accused me of being a bad friend. Brandon and everyone else turned their heads to eye us.

My eyes darted back to Brandon, who had a concerned look on his face. He was always more understanding than Max. I glared at Maxine, sick of her treating me like I am a child. "For the last time. I'm fine!" I snapped at her. Closing my book abruptly, and getting up from the table I knew Maxine or Brandon was going to follow me.

"Alice! Wait!" A female voice corrected me; I thought Brandon was going to console me this time. Roughly I spun around to face Maxine, Brandon and the others were still visible from where I stood. Honestly I just wanted to be alone.

"I'm sorry I lashed out." Maxine breathed. I shook my head, not wanting to deal with her right now. "What happened to your face?" Her hazel eyes observed my face, her fingers came up to cup my chin so she would have a better look. It surprised me how she hadn't noticed earlier. She paused to stare at me. "What happened last night?"

My lungs sharply exhaled, making a large cold puff of air appear. "I fell down the stairs."

"Yeah right." Max bluntly scoffed. "Do you really think I'll believe that?" "I was hoping you would." I admitted, avoiding her eye contact. Becoming heated by this conversation, I tugged up the sleeves of my sweater, switching my book from hand to hand to make the action happen.

Max's eyes widened which signaled the fault in my actions, hastily I tried to pull my left sleeve down. I was too late; Maxine has already seized my arm with both of her hands.

Her eyebrows furrowed deeply, focused on the red marks slashed on my arm. When she connected our eye contact, her eyes weren't the bright hazel color; they have turned into a glossy dark green color. The corner of her eyes has turned a shade of pinkish red. I was tongue tied, not having the slightest clue of what to say to her. Stuttering words left my mouth in incomplete sentences.

She glared at me in betrayal. "Y-you promised." Without a second glance she ran off, I couldn't gather in enough air to tell her to stop, to tell her there's actually more to my story. My tongue was tied and I was speechless.

Brandon stood up from the lunch table questioning me with his eyes. Knowing what I had to do, I ran in the direction she ran; into the cafeteria. I pulled the heavy door open then tried to dash towards the girl's room, knowing she would be there.

A hand caught my wrist gently pulling me back, but my legs were still in the position to dart to my friend who I knew were crying her eyes out in one of the bathroom stalls. I sharply snapped my head to the direction of the person who pulled me back.

Anger boiled inside me when I set my eyes on his face. "Is everything okay?" Louis asked. I shook my head, gritting my teeth. I tried biting my tongue, tried holding it back but he was really annoying me.

"Will you just stop?! You don't really need to know what's going on in my life every second, do you?! Just stop trying to help!" I yanked my wrist away and left him in awe. I was sick of him treating me like I was some little puppy; that was the first time I've ever yelled at someone in a long time. Besides, I have more important things to worry about.