Chapter 5

Paytah

The dry afternoon air has my throat burning like no other.

My uniform has me sweating like crazy. Thick camouflage material. Although I have the sweatpants on, they allowed us to take off our long sleeves, leaving us in our white tshirts.

Gale says the last five teams have to run an extra two miles, and it's not going to be my group.

My group. I'm in charge of my group. If we fail, it's 100 percent my fault.

There's Morgan, with the air element. Long, curly red hair and piercing bright blue eyes. Her hair bouncy as she runs, her cheeks the matching color.

Then there's Matt, Morgan's brother. Weird how that worked. Their twins, and that's about all the information I know. He keeps a steady pace next to me, face also the color of the mob on his head.

There's Eve, with the earth element. Long blonde hair, piercing green eyes. Her body is long, lean, strong. And it bothers me that she knows it. But even now she's slowing down.

Finally, there's the runt in our group. Jazz, with the water element. She's got to be only eight. Her brown hair is in a small pony, her little arms pumping as we run.

But I know this; I am not running that extra two miles. We've already done 100 push-ups, jumping jacks, curl ups, and burpies. Plus sprints. No way I am running more.

The problem is, if I were by myself, I would have no problem finishing fast. I'm not used to making sure four other people make it there with me.

Little Jazz is tired, I can see it. Well, so is everyone else, but she's at a disadvantage.

"If you go fast now, you won't have to run two more miles. Doesn't that sound worth it?" I ask, and she nods while panting. "Okay, we are going to pick it up, ready?" She nods again, and gains speed. "Come on, we're pushing this last half-mile!" I yell, and we all slowly speed up.

Running. Running fast. I think back a while ago when I was running from the guards, from Hanson. Now, I ran right back into Hanson's arms. I don't like being controlled. After my parents let me go, I was on my own. I could only rely on myself, because trust didn't come easy.

"Thank god!" I hear Eve yell. I didn't even realize we reached the finish line, and also came in second. I go right to Jazz and give her a high five, telling her that she rocked. I wish I could be supportive, but I was never good with kids.

"Good work, squad 38." Gale says, with no emotion at all.

Good work my ass. Even I would've appreciated something better than a 'good work'.

I look over and see Lana, leaning over clutching her knees. We haven't even made eye contact since last night. I don't know what to feel. She's mad, but she doesn't get it. I wish I could tell her. I wish I could just say "hey, my parents actually gave me up. Oh, and they are the water element. Oh yeah, and my foster family gave me up, too." But it's harder then it seems.

"Still mad about that kiss?"

Eve looks at me, fixing her hair. I forgot for a moment that everyone was watching us on their TVs.

"Shut up."

"I can't really tell if I'm team Lana or team Aira. I mean, you and Aira look cute toge-"

"I'm with nobody."

"Or maybe it's a plot twist where you actually love Juris and-"

She shuts up when fire surrounds my hands. Of course, she's still not used to being with other elements. Jazz, on the other hand, seems to be interested.

"Whoa." She whispers. She looks down at her own little hands. "I can't do it as good." Water barely drops from her hands. I smile a little. "You'll get it. And once you do, you could drown Eve."

"And I'll use my vines to bring Paytah down with me."

"Geez." Is all Matt says.

"Gosh, I'm sore. You think Gale would take it easy on us on our first day." Morgan says.

"Maybe she is taking it easy on us." Eve says.

"Paytah." I look over and see a man, motioning me over. "The president would like to speak to you."

I walk over to the man and he leads me into the building. I roam my eyes around, seeing people busy at work. He walks into a slim hallway, and opens the double doors.

And theres president Rose Jackson.

"Ah, Paytah, have a seat."

I manage a smile, and sit in the chair across from her desk. Jackson looks over me and nods. "Hanson."

"Hanson?" I say out loud, and watch as he makes his way next to Jackson. "What is he doing here?"

"He's here to help." She says, and I clench my jaw.

"So, as you've heard, you're foster parents have resigned. So, we are concerned that you have no caregivers. So, we don't know if we should still put you up for another foster-"

"Do I need parents? Honestly?" I ask.

"Well, we thought you-"

"I don't need any," I say.

"Well, just for health care and.."

"Health care?" I ask. "If I get hurt? Bring me to a hospital. If I die, leave my ashes on the battlefield."

"I don't think you're understanding this, Paytah."

"Guess not." The thing is, I actually do understand. Kids under eighteen should have a parent watching them. But she must know I'm used to living without.

"Okay, I don't think we are going to foster care anymore. Besides, you belong to us now, right?" She smiles.

I belong to them.

Hell no. I don't belong to anyone. Especially not Hanson or Jackson and there mysterious plans.

"Thanks for your time, Paytah." Jackson smiles, and I stand up and leave, with the only thought I have.

They do not own me. I do not belong to them.

••••••

Hello!!

I promise things will pick up :)

Please vote and comment friends!

-Grace