Chapter 9

Paytah

"I don't want to die."

Jazz is huddled in the corner of the helicopter, her helmet looking oddly big on her. We are lowering down, about to land.

"You're not going to die," I say, laying my hand on her shoulder. "besides, I'm the squad leader. I die before anyone else does in my squad, alright?"

That seems to calm her down a little, which I don't know if that's good or bad. Once Paytah dies, then I'm screwed.

"We're landed!" Eve yells, and I pull Jazz up and we all run outside. I kneel down against a tall area of grass, making sure we're all here.

"Don't see anyone yet." I hear Aira say through my earpiece. I glance around at the area, hearing the siren ring.

"Where can we go without killing anyone," I whisper so quiet I don't know if Aira can even hear it.

"Maybe in that building. To your right kind of." I look at the building, and bite my lip.

"Let's move to that building, we'll have a better shot from above. Go!"

I cover Jazz as I hear gunshots while we run. I don't see anyone coming out or in the building, so I agree with Aira that it's our best shot to hide in there. I kick the door with my foot and guide everyone in, running in behind them.

"Matt check the stairs!"

"It's clear!"

"Everyone up!" I yell, and we all settle by the already open windows. I peek over and see the water element running right past.

"Don't shoot much, it'll blow our cover. Only once every while." I say.

"What? Paytah, we have to shoot!" Eve yells.

"My orders!" I yell back, and everyone goes silent.

Morgan is the first to shoot. I watch as her target goes down, and I hear a gasp from Aira.

But that's not what she sees.

I immediately turn around and shoot, hitting a guy right in the chest. But he's not alone. Another person comes from behind, shooting and just missing my head. I shoot back, not even knowing if I hit them or if one of my squad members did. More come in, and I run to the other side of them, trying to surround them. I shoot more, hearing screams that I don't know who belong to.

"Everyone out!" I scream, and then I hear no more gun shots. I see Matt and Eve run toward me, so I run outside, back into the tall grass. I cover our area while I see my squad run and are soon enough next to me.

"We have everyone?!" I yell.

"Yes! Wait-" I look over at Eve, who looks at me worriedly.

It's Jazz.

"I think she's still alive!" I hear Matt yell, and that's when I immediately head back to the building. I don't know why I love this kid so much, but I have no choice now, cause I promised her I would die first.

And I probably will.

If she's still alive and hasn't come out, they are holding her in there right now, so they can lure our squad back in.

"Paytah, don't." Aira says.

"You get your wish, you dicks!" I yell as I go into the building. I head up the stairs, and immediately, shots are fired. I duck and roll as I shoot. Jazz is screaming, which gives me a good hint to where she is. I see her being held by a guy, and I take the risk and shoot, fortunately hitting the guy. I push Jazz towards to the stairs and she falls down. I'm about to go to the stairs until I feel the force of a boot on my throat, and I slam into the wall and fall to the ground, my helmet coming straight off.

I try letting out fire, but someone is standing on my wrist, and I yell in pain. My other hand is stuck under my own body.

"Yes, we did get our wish," I watch as the barrel of the gun is pointed at my face.

"Wait!" I hear a girl say, looking at me. "It's one of the four...don't shoot! Nobody shoot! Strip him from weapons, we want him alive!"

I groan in pain as I feel a punch to my jaw, making me queazy. My body goes limp as they reach for my gun and knife in my boot.

"No!" I hear Aira scream. "No, Paytah!"

I try to kick, but all they do is kick back. I try to get up, but all they do is push me back down.

When reality hits, I know that this will not end well. And that's when I know arrangements need to be made.

"Aira, you guys still have to go." I whisper, but all I can hear is her cries.

"Aira, you have to leave! You have to! Okay? Leave!" I yell, and I watch as someone comes at me with a bag. I quick rip the earpiece off, not able to stand Aira's screams.

The bag is placed over my head, and I feel arms roughly lifting me to my feet. They push me down the stairs, and I tumble down. I quickly get up and run, but I feel a punch to my stomach and yell in pain. I grit my teeth, swallowing blood and licking my tears.

As we leave the building, I hear the helicopters lifting back up. We're leaving. Either retreating, or our job is done. I trip over my own feet, but I'm pulled back up and pushed to keep running. My palms are filled with fire, but water splashes them every time.

I feel myself walking into another building, and I can no longer hear the helicopters. I only hear small mumbles and boots clicking against the cement.

A knock on the door, then it opens. Silence, only my heavy breathing is heard.

"Ma'am, we have a surprise."

I grunt in irritation, trying to get the bag off, but I'm pushed down to my knees. I kneel, feeling defeated as the strong hands keep me down.

"Take the bag off." I hear a voice, a familiar one. But I think I'm just delusional.

The bag is off my head, and I spit out blood onto the floor.

"It's one of the four."

"Good. Now, you're excused, soldiers." That familiar voice.

I hear them leave, and I keep my head down, so angry I'm about to explode. I'm about to burn this whole building down until more people hold me down. I hear handcuffs click, and I take a big breath, trying to calm myself. Guards stand next to me, their shadows still above me.

I hear the familiar voice sigh. It's a woman, I hear her heels click as I see her shadow come closer to me. I keep my head down.

"Hello, son."

I look up, and my eyes meet with the woman who abandoned me thirteen years ago. She looks down at me and smiles.

"I just can't get away from you, can I."

••••••

Hello!!!!

PLOT TWIST!! Well, maybe you saw this coming, but finally a little bit of action!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Please comment and let me know what you think will happen next!!

Also please vote :)

Thanks!

-Grace