Chapter 8

Juris

It's been an hour now.

I'm leaning against Aira's door. First I knocked, but all I could hear was her crying and yelling at me to go away. Now it's quiet, but she still knows I'm here. I lean against the wall, staring at the faint gray door in front of me.

And it opens.

Out comes Aira. Her face; calm, normal. She walks and I do the same, not saying one word. The only thing that seems off is her eyes, which are still a little puffy.

We end up at the cafeteria, where we sit down. Nobody is here, it's pretty late. We both sit in silence, Aira is zoned out, still sniffing a little. I think back to when I saw Lana fighting. One of her members got shot, and I hope she doesn't blame it on me. I did my job, I told her exactly where the enemies were.

"I watched my home die today." Aira says.

It's true. It was her element that attacked. She probably knew most of them. I nod and look down, trying to figure out something to say.

But there's nothing.

I hear footsteps. Not just any though; it's like boots hitting the cement. Louder. Aira hears it too, cause her head is up, her eyebrows scrunched in confusion.

Two people in uniforms walk fast. Aira lets out a strange noise when she finds out who they are.

Paytah and Lana spot us now and try to walk over causally. We both stand up when they come to us. We don't speak, just observe. There's Aira and I, in our ugly clothes and funny looking shoes, then Paytah and Lana in all camouflage, big brown boots and thick material.

Lana is the first to speak.

"Well, your outfits are hideous."

I smile, not just because she's right, but besides her puffy eyes, she seems fine.

Aira goes up and hugs Lana tight, and Lana gasps. I watch as Paytah looks at them, his eyebrows raised. He glances at me and slightly smiles. I smile back, but Aira is already covering my view from him. I move my eyes to Lana, who also smiles and waves at me.

"I'm glad you're all okay." I say, but everyone seems distracted by the people walking by, casting their stares on Lana and Paytah.

"Why are you guys even here? Are you allowed?" Aira asks. Paytah and Lana glance at each other, then the people staring at them.

"We should go to one of your rooms and talk. You know, catch up." Lana says quickly.

"Why can't we just-"

Paytah cuts Aira off. "Juris, let's go to your room, yeah?"

I stand there oddly while I study Paytah's face. It's that look in his eyes. Calm, but panicked.

"Sure." I say, because its clear for me to tell what's happening.

Something's wrong. Very wrong.

I lead the way down the hallway and to my room, but I can't help but see how uneasy Lana and Paytah feel. They aren't allowed here, it's clear. But if they are willing to do this it must be important.