Chapter 5

-"Lancet" orders Harry to the doctor next to him.
-"Lancet" the doctor replies as an answer of handing him the cutting tool. I'm looking at Harry and he raises his head, as if he wanted to look at me.
-"Dr. Grey" he says to me and I feel my heartbeat going fast. "Would you do us the honor and complete the surgery?". I look at him in complete astonishment.
-"Of course, Dr. Styles" I reply, without being complete sure about the answer I just gave. He squizees his eyes and although he has his surgery mask on, I can feel Harry smiling.
I take the lancet in my hands and wait for his orders because honestly, I'm not confident enough to say that I'm absolutely aware of what I'm about to do.
-"Start cutting around the tumor, without putting any big pressure on the patient. Soft and gentle" he says. I follow exactly the orders he gave me, constantly thinking about the way he said 'soft and gentle'. "That's good, Dr. Grey. Keep going until you've made a circle around it. Good. Now, open him up and carefully start removing it".

Lancet, tongs, scissors, hands. We used every single tool in order to remove the 70-pound monster. It had been growing inside her body for 15 years without even her noticing it. Her family thought she was just gaining weight, until she developped a strong breathing disorder. After 14 hours of surgery, the machine Mrs. Foster was connected to, starts making a loud "beep" noise.
-"We're losing her, we're losing her!" says Harry to the rest of the team. I'm frozen and don't know what to do nor what to say. The doctors are giving her different kinds of medicine but her heart doesn't seem to start beating again. Harry puts his hands on her chest, putting pressure on it, trying to make her heart beat. "Come on, Joanna, come on. Live" I hear him say but it looks like Joanna wants to go.
-"She's gone, Dr. Styles" one of the surgeons say.
After a couple of minutes of trying to bring her back to life, Harry stops. "Time of death, 20:23" he announces and then, exits the room. I follow him, leaving the dead woman in the hands of the other doctors.
-"You did everything you could. She wouldn't make it, anyway" I say, hoping I could make things better.
-"We did everything we could" he replies and I smile at him. I can feel the air fresher, the colours more intense.
-"Do you want me to call her mother?" I ask. She wasn't married and the only person that is/was close to her is her mother.
-"No, it's fine". He takes a quick look around, making sure no one's around and kisses me, soft, his lips on mine. "I'll see you later" he says and I can't hide my smile.
My work hours is done. I'm on my way home to have a shower and then I'm heading to The Bar to meet Samantha. I get in the shower and th hot water relaxes my muscles. I think about the day that just passed. Harry kissing me in the locker room, the case, Harry kissing me again. I shake my head and try to make my thoughts go away. I get out of the shower and blow-dry my light brown hair. I won't curl them and I won't put any make-up on. I'm just meeting Samantha. It's 21:47 and I'm meeting her at 22:00. I enter my bedroom and open my wardrobe. Tonight, I choose to wear a black, longsleeve turtle-neck with the pair of washed-blue flared heans I wore the other day. I grab my hand bag I bought myself for my birthday last year and put on my classy, black flat ballerinas. I go downstairs, to the living room, and decide not to pay any attention to the boxes with furniture and decors that are inside them. I have to find a roomate soon.
I park my car outside my favourite bar. I walk inside and sit on the bar.
-"Hey, Jace" I tell the barman who's a very good friend of mine. I've known him sincr he opened up this place. Guess I'm a frequent costumer.
-"'Sup, Margarita? How's your job?" he asks.
-"It's fine". I don't want to get into details. "And you? How's your boyfriend? Peter, isn't it?"
-"We broke up. I found out he was actually straight and was just 'living the moment'".
-"Oh, I'm sorry. Are you okay?". He doesn't deserve to feel sad.
-"Of course I am! So, what would you like to drink?"
-"The usual" I say and he laughs. Of course.
-"The usual it is!"
As he's making my drink, the door's bell rings and Samantha comes in. She sits next to me and tells Jace to pass her a beer.
-"I think I might be seeing someone" I say and drink a bit of my vodka with cola. I can feel the warm alcohol running in my veins, a feeling that I absolutely adore.
-"I think I'm seeing someone" she says back and puts the bottle of beer on her mouth.
-"Mine's bad. Really, really bad".
-"You can't beat me".
Really? I bet she isn't sleeping with her boss.
-"I slept with Harry, you know, my boss" I say and she looks at me for the first time tonight.
-"I slept with Scott". I spit my drink and I feel like I'm choking. She nods and drinks the rest of her beer before she orders another one. The door's bell rings again and Steph and Paul come in. Still, she doesn't win. It's a tie.
-"Hey, Margarita" says Paul and I can hear and see how nervous he is. I don't know why, though.
-"Hello Paul" I reply and smile. Steph buys us a round of beers and I'm sure it's going to be a pretty long night.