Chapter 6

The alarm beeped on Devon's phone, dragging him from a coma-like sleep that had only lasted about two-and-a-half hours. He snoozed it at least five times before he had sufficient wits to realise why he'd set it so early; Senka was out there, working her sexy butt off in the cold night air, and he was going to be her hero - or at least try to be. He'd have gone straight out after supper if he thought that Kal would have let him. At least by now it'd be pointless for the nanaue to tell him to go back and sleep.

Devon dragged himself out from under the warm covers and quickly pulled on his clothes before the cold could sink into his skin. Then he headed for the kitchen, where he found what he'd asked for waiting on the table for him. He wasn't entirely sure that Angus Mac Duff even understood English - since he definitely couldn't speak it as far as Devon was concerned - but the little man had responded to his request with style! Not only was there a flask with coffee granules inside waiting only to be filled with hot water, but there was a feast of freshly-baked snacks and treats to go with it. He boiled the kettle, filled the flask, and then packed everything into the little backpack that Angus had left out for him. Kal was crazy - the short, strange little man was a gem! There was even a beanie and two extra pairs of gloves set aside for them!

Seconds later the he was making his way out of the manor and heading down the main driveway. He knew that he'd find the team somewhere along the road, and he had Senka's wonderfully exotic scent locked so firmly into his brain that he doubted he'd ever forget it.

The hike was lonely at first - eerie even, with strange shrieking noises singing out here and there through the cold night air. Devon's feline senses told him that they were nothing to be afraid of, and yet the sleep-induced fog he'd woken with quickly started to dissipate.

The tomcat kept going, the sound of his trainers on first gravel and then dirt being the only company he had in the darkness. Seeing wasn't even remotely a problem after a partial transformation availed him of his feline eyes - a nifty trick he'd taught himself in his teens.

After what seemed like ages, the noises of group activity met his ears. He followed the sounds off the road into the brush that lined it at that part, stopping briefly now and then to examine a scent wafting up to him from a leaf or branch. He didn't want to meet with the whole group - not initially, at least. He'd set his sights on one particular member, and he hoped that a little alone time and some fresh coffee would be enough to help him say what he'd wanted to say for months.

He'd just caught Senka's scent when he felt the back pocket of his jeans vibrate. Reaching back to dig out his cellular phone, he was momentarily blinded by the light of the screen.

Ow! Stupid cat vision!

Devon rubbed his eyes and blinked a few times, then set his mind to morphing them back. A short while later he was reading the message on his phone:

'Hi Dev. Everything OK? Sierra not answering her fone.'

Oh geeze! Please tell me she didn't leave her phone at the castle! I'll never hear the end of it! Again!!

The tomcat sighed and set his fingers in motion.

'We're fine. Looking 4 a missing girl in Scotland. Sierra's sleeping. Will talk 2 her when she wakes up.'

It took less than a second for the reply to light up his screen again.

'TX!! : )'

Devon shoved the device back in his pocket and carried on, but now his vision was all disturbed. Not only were his cat eyes gone, but the light of the small screen made the darkness seem denser than before. He stubbed his toe, cursed under his breath and half hopped, half stumbled forward into a small clearing.