One

I laid in my bed, my eyes adverting to the ceiling. There was a spot on my ceiling that looks out of place, like it didn't belong. At age twenty I should not be laying in bed still in a house owned by adults, this is not how I planned my life but at age ten I realized I could not become anything I please. At age eleven I realized that my dreams were so far out of reach, and after all these years I've come to believe that my eleven year old self was very right.

"Pia, honey" my mothers voice rang throughout the hallway, the familiar nickname bouncing off the walls.

"Yes?" I say as I walk toward the wooden door frame.

"We're all packed, we'll be leaving in about an hour" I nod swiftly at the woman who has become my motherly figure in my life but I still felt very disconnected.

Her hair cascades an orange while mine was a dark brown, I'm believed to say I had my father's hair, I wouldn't know.

"Oh and honey please make sure to go out and have some fun while we're gone" she sighs, walking towards me she pulls me into a hug. She was a head taller than me and her body didn't seem to fit mine.

"I'll try" I say as the door to my parents opens, my father walks out holding their bags. He motions at Claire, my mom, to help him grab the bags.

"Bye honey" they both say before the taxi cab left me in the rear view mirror. I stand at the curb of the street, my eyes following the road that could lead you anywhere. I glance back at the empty house behind me. Any person would love a house to themselves but me, not so much. It was going to be a long nine months here alone.