Death Becomes Her

Dean wanted answers, but the second they heard you begin to utter the incantation he taught you, Crowley disappeared, and by the time he ran back to the bedroom, he was too late. 

You were all too late.

Sam keeps looking over his shoulder at you now as the three of you head back to the bunker. You're tired and covered in dirt, and your clothes reek of smoke, but Sam and Dean insisted it was the only way to make sure nothing jumps into Jonah's body ever again. You're slouched against the door in the backseat, staring absently out the window. You haven't uttered a word since you said goodbye to the fresh mound of dirt and rocks.

What the hell are you going to tell his parents?

"I want to know how Crowley can read minds, now," Dean says under his breath, but you can hear him.

Sam shakes his head. "I don't know. I had no idea that was a thing."

You shudder at the memory of that devilish voice inside your head. How can they think about anything else? Anything other than poor, sweet Jonah? How could you not tell that he was already possessed that day in class? You should have known Jonah wouldn't have taken Shakespeare.

"So it was the demon after all, at the school," Sam says. "And the diner."

"Demons rip out hearts now?" Dean questions.

"It said the rules were out the window, now that Amara's running around." With a heavy sigh, he adds, "It said they're putting Lucifer back in charge."

"Aw, hell."

They are silent for a few moments as you glide down the highway. You hate the sun and the blue sky and the puffy white clouds. They have no right to be so cheerful. You release the seatbelt and lie down across the backseat, covering your head with your arm. The gentle vibrations of the Impala travel through the leather seat to the side of your face, lulling you deeper and deeper until you want nothing more than to close out the world.

***

"Hey, we're home," Dean says, gently shaking your leg. Tingles flare up at the touch of his hand.

You don't want to move. You have no energy. No will power. Jonah's gone because of you, and the professor, too. How many other people are in danger because the demons are playing with you? 'They're coming for you.' Who're they? And Jenna? Where is she?

"She's safe, I told you." The distinctive voice brings you out of your stupor and you bolt upright.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Dean growls.

"I followed her," Crowley answers. "Really, Dean. You didn't think that through, did you? We're bound, she and I. I followed her self pity all the way here." He turns toward the bunker entrance. "Shame you had to ward the place. I'm a good house guest, aren't I?"

"I still want answers."

"Did you expect me to hang around during an exorcism?" Thank you, by the way. That one was a real pain in my arse.

The chill returns to your skin as you glare back at him.

"No, no. I'm not responsible for your friends' deaths. I am, however, here to help you, as a loyal servant should."

Dean coughs. "Excuse me, what did you just say?"

Sam swings the demon knife but Crowley vanishes before he can make contact. "I'm going to kill him!" he yells, baring his teeth.

"Get her inside, Sam," Dean tells him, helping you out of the car.

"Where are you going?"

"To get some damn answers."