Revelation

Sam pulls up to the bunker. It's dark now, and the sky is clear and full of twinkling stars. He gets Dean inside, but there's still no sign of Cas. Not yet.

Dean shuffles off for a shower where he'll just sit under the cascade of hot water, because somehow it soothes him, even if only for the moment.

Out in the study, Sam's stomach growls, reminding him he still hasn't eaten, so he goes into the kitchen. He doesn't realize Cas is standing behind him in the doorway as he goes through cabinets, looking for food, until he turns around to check the fridge. "Oh. Hey."

Cas studies Sam's face.

"Cas, what is it?"

The Angel turns and walks into the study. He sighs. "I went to God."

Sam follows him, forgetting about the refrigerator. "Okay?"

Cas has a look on his face like he's about to admit he's done something wrong. "And I asked Him to find her."

Sam gapes at him. He never got warm feelings between you and Cas, never knew what the deal was, but sensed the tension nonetheless. His heart skips. "What are you saying?"

Whatever it is is difficult for Cas to say. He struggles with the words until finally: "He brought her back."

Sam's knees go weak and he finds his way to the chair at the end of the table. Castiel is the one who saved you? Castiel, who didn't like you when you were here? Castiel spent the last three weeks searching for a way to bring you back when he and Dean had both given up hope?

"But..." Castiel begins, and his eyes drop. "It wasn't easy. And... she's not the same person she was."

"What do you mean?"

"He gave her back her humanity. But she was in there long enough to..." He sighs, scratches behind his ear, and starts again. "She doesn't remember being Death, or the demons, or you... or Dean."

Sam's eyes dart around before landing on Cas again. The Angel's words are like a block of ice to his chest. "But... she's alive?"

Cas nods. "I don't think now is the right time to tell Dean."

"You want me to keep this from him?"

"Yes."

"But, Cas-"

"He's not ready."

Sam leans on the table with his face in his hands.

"Promise me, Sam."

"Cas, you know what you're asking me to do? I've never seen him more in love with anyone. Ever. I mean, after everything he's been through the last few years... he searched for her, Cas. For months. Do you remember how he was when we thought Amara killed her?"

"I haven't forgotten."

"Then how can you ask me to do this? How can you ask me to lie about this?"

"Lie about what?" Dean walks in, rubbing his hair dry with a blue towel, in a set of clean clothes.

Sam looks at him, trying to find the right words. Is Cas right? Is it the wrong time?

"We... found her," Cas says, and Sam stiffens as he watches his brother.

What happened to not telling Dean right now?!

Dean freezes. He looks from Cas to Sam, and his eyes harden. "What do you mean, you 'found her'?"

Sam glances at Castiel as he stands up. He clears his throat. "Uh... God... Chuck pulled her out."

Dean's towel drops to the floor. "Sammy," he says, clenching his jaw, "this better not be a joke."