Chapter 44

The only thing I could think of the moment my feet touched a solid surface was, Frigga you're in so much shit. And my subconscious was right, I was fucked. The ringing in my ears slowed down and I opened my eyes. The familiar golden room took over my vision as a booming voice called out, "Frigga Jane Foster!"

Of course I thought is was my dad, but the loud voice came from Heimdall.

"Why are you here child?" He laughed and pulled me into a hug.

"Nice to see you too Heimdall," I smiled and tried my best to survive his enormous hug. I got a deep feeling in the pit of my stomach and turned around to face my dad.

I was ready to see the look of anger on his face for jumping into the portal to Asgard with him.

But he just smiled.

Not a big, bright, heroic smile. No. The kind of smile that a dad would give his daughter on the first day of school. The kind of smile that comes from watching a child grow up. The proud smile.

"I'm sorry..." I started to say.

"Don't be," he cut me off. "I...I just don't know what to say."

"We'll you said you were going to keep us safe. I don't know what better way to keep us safe than to stay here with you."

A new voice sounded from behind me, "That could bring danger among the Asgardian's. We do not wish of that now do we?"

My father peered over my shoulder and I spun around to see Odin. My grandfather.

"No we don't," I replied.

"But a girl does not deserve to be so far from her father either."

"He's right," Heimdall chimed in and nodded at my dad.

"Of course he is right, he always has been."

"But I can't stay, can I?" I piped up. As much as would love to stay, they wouldn't let me. I would love to live in the Asgardian Castle. I would love to stay somewhere I always felt welcome. But life isn't a fairy tale. And as much as I wanted, I could never stay here. As much as I wished that one day things would be normal for me, they never would. I denied it to myself, but deep down I already knew that.

"No, Frigga Jane," my father replied after a moment of silence. Odin turned and walked from the room, Heimdall watched him go as I stepped closer to the man who flipped my life upside down.

"So this is it," I nodded. "This is the moment. This is goodbye."

He furrowed his eyebrows and crouched down next to me. "Frigga you will never say goodbye to me. Do you understand? I will always be right here. The only day you need to say goodbye to me, is the day I die."

I couldn't hold back the silent tear that slid from my eye as he pulled me in for yet another hug.

"I think it's time I go," I finally said.

"I agree," he told me. "Stay safe."

"See you soon," I said as Heimdall prepared my departure.

"See you soon."

Within seconds I was right where I was before. The deck of my second home, with all eyes plastered on me. I could sense the tension in the air. Each person had something to say, yet no one knew what to say. No one dared to say anything.

"Honey, did you get the chance to say goodbye?" My mom asked, while rubbing my arm.

"Not goodbye, just..." I paused, "See you later."