Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

I cut school for the rest of the day. I didn’t want to be in the same building as my ex-bestfriends. Let me rephrase that, I couldn’t be in the same building as my ex-bestfriends without having a panic attack. I figured I wouldn’t be able to focus on my schoolwork anyway. It didn’t register in my mind that I would get in trouble. And even if I had gotten in trouble, I doubt that I would’ve cared much, if at all.

I had walked a couple of blocks and then got on the bus, which took me to Juniper Street. There were stores and restaurants there, and I figured I could spend some time at Barns and Noble’s. I always read a lot when I was sad. It took my mind off my problems, and made life seem bearable. Like the characters in books had their own problems too, and they always seemed to overcome them.

I didn’t know if I’d be able to “overcome” mine, but I decided to focus on the story I was reading, rather than on my own problems.

I was up to chapter seven of ‘Audrey Wait’ when someone walked over to me. “Hey, Aria. Shouldn’t you be in school?”

When I looked up, it was the last person I expected it to be.

Trevor.

I must’ve had this massively surprised look on my face, because he said, “I got out of the hospital yesterday.”

“H-hi,” I stuttered. There was so much I wanted to ask him, but I settled for a simple “How are you?”

He was wearing a cap on his head, probably to hide his bandaged injury. “Could be better,” He shrugged, sitting next to me. “I was hoping that I’d get a chance to talk to you.”

“Oh, really?” What could he possibly have to talk to me about?

“Yeah,” He smiled. “But what are you doing here?”

“I’m cutting. Didn’t feel like going to class after lunch,” I admitted sheepishly. But for some reason, I didn’t mind being honest with him.

“How’s school without me?” I could tell he was half-joking.

“It’s a drag,” I said, putting my book back on the shelf. “I was worried about you.” I said, remembering the night of the accident. I had been worried then, but with all my Gabriel/Annabelle drama I had almost forgotten about him.

“Well, I’ll be fine. Gabriel really did me in,” Trevor said, leaning his head back against the bookshelf. So he did remember.

“Trevor, why didn’t you tell on us?” I asked suddenly.

“Because you guys would’ve gotten in serious trouble. Gabe could’ve been sent to Juvenile Detention for attempted manslaughter, and you would’ve gotten in trouble too for not telling anyone when you were a witness,” He informed me. “I didn’t want to put you guys through that, and I probably deserved it, anyway. I can be an asshole when I get drunk. Sorry for the way I acted the other night.”

“You shouldn’t be the one apologizing. But I don’t know how to thank you enough,” I said, looking at my nails. “Gabriel and I were wrong for what we did, and I’m sure you had every reason to hate us. If there’s anything I can do to make up for it, just let me know.”

“Well actually, there is one thing.” He said, with a faint pink color spreading across his cheeks. “Aria, I want you to be my girlfriend.”

I thought for a moment. I was amazed that he still liked me. But I did owe him, for not telling on me and Gabriel. Especially Gabriel. And if I said no, he could still get us into trouble. He knew that. His smile told me that I really didn’t have a choice.