Chapter 3: The midnight duel

Harry had never thought he would meet a boy he hated more than Dudley but that was before he met Draco Malfoy and before he became sorted into Slytherin and Weasley became an ass to him. Having almost every lesson with both of them was a hell but when he noticed that they had flying lesson together as well his mood nosedived faster than you could say Quidditch.

"Bloody brilliant." He muttered darkly. "Just what I wanted, to make a fool out of myself in front of those two." He had been looking forward to those lessons more than anything else.

"I don't know how it is with Malfoy, but I overheard Fred and George telling their friend Lee Jordan they wanted to see their little brother fly because he probably falls of, headfirst." Hermione tried to cheer him up. She was more nervous than he was. Flying was something you couldn't learn out of books although she had tried. She waved him goodbye before walking towards the Gryffindor table, sitting down next to Neville. Harry walked to his spot with the sixth years. Ever since the start of term he had overheard all the purebloods talking about their flying adventures. Malfoy's always ended with almost getting caught by a helicopter and although Harry didn't believe he had escaped muggles for over ten times he didn't know how Malfoy knew about helicopters. Blaise' stories were less unbelievable and were all about him and the friend of his mother playing Quidditch. Theo kept silent and most times rolled his eyes when one of the first years bragged about their flying skills. One time Harry had caught the boy laughing under his breath when Malfoy came with another story.

"Ready for your first flying lesson?" Kali asked the raven boy. He shrugged his shoulders and took a piece of toast.

"We have it with the Gryffindors..." He grumbled.

"Is Weasley still such a dork to you?" Diana asked frowning. When Harry didn't answer she looked over to the Gryffindor table and smirked. "I bet for five galleons Longbottom falls of his broom." She said to Kali. The girl chuckled and shook her head.

"The boy is a danger to himself when he's on the ground." She answered. "Last time I had to free him out of a vanishing stair. I'm not going to bet on something I know is going to happen." Diana pouted at her best friend before she looked at Harry.

"And you? Do you want to bet?" She asked, earning a slap from Kali who glared at her. They had an argument about betting with first years as much as the first years were bragging about their flying skills. Kali found it immoral, but Diana didn't seem to think there was a problem. Luckily, the owls arrived with the mail before their argument could turn out worse. Harry hadn't gotten any letters after Hagrid's and of course Malfoy had noticed. That made him enjoy the bragging over the gifts he got from his parents even more. He always got sweets and other stuff. Kali had told him to ignore Malfoy and shared her sweets with him. An enthusiastic shriek from Neville caught Harry's attention and he saw the boy holding something in his hand. Malfoy caught side of it as well and smirked, poking Crabbe and Goyle before standing up.

"Can't you give it a break, Drake?" Blaise Zabini asked sighing. "We still have the flying lesson to laugh with Longbottom."

"I'm just curious." Malfoy said shrugging, before leaving with Crabbe and Goyle. Harry caught Theo snickering behind his hand when Malfoy said that and shook his head. All the first year Slytherins followed the blonde with their eyes and a few elder, like Kali and Diana, did as well. Malfoy took the gift out of Neville's hand, making Weasley and his friends jump up. Harry already spotted McGonagall who walked towards them. Although they couldn't hear what they were saying, Malfoys scowling face told them he wasn't happy when he left.

At 3.30 pm Harry and the other Slytherins were waiting for the Gryffindors and their first flying lesson. They came almost running towards them a few minutes later and Harry spotted Hermione walking next to Neville and smiled at her. She gave him a nervous smile back. Twenty brooms were laying on the ground in a neat line Harry noticed before a woman with short grey hair and yellow eyes like a hawk. Harry suspected her to be their teacher, madam Hooch.