Fifteen

Draco's Perspective

What in Merlin's name did McGonagall just say? "A twin sister? What the bloody hell does that mean? I think I'd know if I had a sibling!" I'm on my feet, head spinning and nausea kicking in. As I pace up and down the room, Hermione, who has just come out of a trance, is up and trying to reach me.

"Draco, please sit and hear her out." She says.

How am I supposed to sit and listen to something absurd? I'd bloody know if I had a sister, much less a twin! Aren't you supposed to feel like half of you is missing or something stupid like that?

"Mr. Malfoy, we have a number of things to discuss before the 1pm meet." After a moment, I reluctantly allow Hermione to drag me back to my seat, and she keeps a firm grasp on my arm. After all, we are doing this for her sake.

"Now, Kingsley has asked me to remind you of some of the rules set in place for today. And although you are both adults," she says as she hold up a finger to silence us, "you are both here under protection. To go off and do something to put either of you in harm's way would be extremely idiotic. Not to mention insulting to those of us who are trying to help you."

Hermione releases her hold on my arm and gives her full attention to McGonagall.

"Firstly, Kingsley has asked that Simon accompany you both to Hogsmeade, along with Horace. I will be in the Three Broomsticks to keep watch on your mother until you arrive."

I'm all for the plan, I want Hermione to be safe. "Why do you need to watch mother?" I ask, unsure as to what that could be about.

McGonagall turns her gaze to me, "To see whom she may have contact with. Be it through speech, hand or eye signals. As I'm sure you are aware we do not know with whom she is involved."

I nod, feeling a little foolish not to have thought about something like that.

Hermione is looking at me a little sympathetically. I expect it is because it's my mother that we are talking about. I have tried to convince her that I only care for her, my light, but she is convinced that that is what is eating me up lately. And I confess, perhaps it is, all I ever wanted was for mother to be happy. She never really was truly happy. And now, I wonder if that is not only because of how my father treated us, but if because she had another child, but didn't have her with us.

I try to shake those thoughts from my head, there is no way I have a twin sister. Whatever she's playing at, I'm not buying it.

McGonagall brings me back to the present.

"Another thing that both Kingsley and I ask is that, no matter how angry any of you may get, you are not to leave the premises without an escort. And we would also ask that you try to refrain from any shouting. We do not need to bring this to the attention of certain journalists." She says with a look on her face as though she has smelled something foul.

I assume by the use of the word journalists, she is talking about that Rita Skeeter witch. I agree with McGonagall, not just in the sense that I'd rather not read something about me that was written by Skeeter, but for Hermione's sake, nobody else needs to know her business with my mother.

"Is that all then?" I ask, impatient to get out of here and outside to clear my head.

"Not quite, Mr. Malfoy. There is something else that I want to prepare you for." Says McGonagall.

I look at Hermione and she glances back at me. I take her hand and intertwine our fingers.

"Your mother has told Kingsley, that she plans to introduce you to your sister. Today."