Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

~Rose~

I skipped out into the yard, and inhaled the crisp morning air. It was misty out, but I could still see the shape of the barn about 8 yards away.

I went inside and knelt beside the baby unicorn nesteled in the hay. Iris had given birth to her last night, and she could already walk!

I smiled as I petted my unicorn's flank.

"I still don't know what to name her." I murmered.

~Delanie~

Looking up, I could see a black smoke rising from the mountains-my blood froze.

I bolted for Rose's small cottage, and saw her petting her small unicorn.

"Rose! We have to leave! The Dark King is attacking!", I yelled, pointing to the Black Mountains." Grab your things and let's get out of here!" Then, after a pause, I added, "Alert Zimrith, too."

Rose looked at me in horror-we both knew what this meant: in a matter of days, the entire countryside would be stripped of life, and the dead bodies of countless inocent elves would scatter the valley.

~Rose~

I felt a shiver running up my spine as Delanie said the words of my nightmares.

"Yes. I will." said shakily. She gupled as she whispered to her newborn foal, "Stay with your momma. Iris won't let anything happen to you."

The foal looked at her with big eyes, clearly not understanding why everyone was in a panic.

Rose let the small foal out into the meadows and headed towards the guard house, grabbing her runic dagger from her table as she left.

~Delanie~

I sprinted through the fields to my own cottage, and found my unicorn stallion, Hawthorn, grazing peacefully. I put his tack on, and ran into the house, only to find my parents missing, and a small not on the table. Picking it up, fear petrified my being:

Our beloved Delanie,

We regret to inform you that your parents have left your elfish village

and have joined us in our fight for the truth.

Sincerely,

Alorth, General to the Dark King

I hastily packed my belongings, and flew out the door. Jumping onto Hawthorns back, I realized that the inky cloud was getting bigger and darker by the second.

~Rose~

I gripped Iris's mane and looked to Zimrith.

"It's getting closer by the minute." I said to him and he nodded grimly.

"Then what are we waiting for? Let's get us an army!"