Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

~Zimrith~

We gallop in silence for about five minutes when I suddenly hear hoof beats behind me.

"Oh, maggots." I muttered not wanting to look back. I didn't have to. I knew that the Dark king's riders were right behind me.

~Delanie~

Hawthorn raced ahead of the others for reasons unknown. I called back to the others, saying, "Hurry!" Rose looked at me, then closed her eyes.

Zimrith stared at her like she had two heads, then realized why she was suddenly slowing:

a sudden wind swept the Dark Kings army behind us! But, upon looking back, I saw the exausted Rose, urging Iris and the foal to gallop, and the enemy riders too close for comfort.

~Zimrith~

"Rose! Your bow!" Rose nodded, knowing exactly what I was talking about. She had a little bow of which she had no skill on. It would only work on close range but the riders were defanitly close.

"Delanie, see if you can help me pluck some riders!" I shouted over the wind as I drew the bow's string back, an arrow notched.

Zimrith let's the arrow fly as the string snaps.

"Cheap bow." I mutter. It was up to Delanie.

~Delanie~

I pulled out my bow. It was a well-made one, with elven carvings and a jade in the middle of the design. Pulling out an arrow from the quiver I always carried with me, I stretched the string.

TWANG!

The arrow flew about forty yards, then hit one of the Dark King's riders straight in the forehead, sending him flying off his horse, who whinnied an galloped away to freedom. I felt glad for him-not everyone can get away unnoticed.

Just as zimrith yells an ecouragement to me, the army advances, and I know I have brought us into even deeper peril.

~Rose~

I gulped. She was drained of a good amount of her magical energy. The army was gaining fast, and now they were angry. I needed my staff. I had tied it to the back of the saddle, though it made riding kind of awkward. It was a white stick tipped with blue crystal.

As soon as I grasped it's smooth surface, I felt my strength recovering.

Ahead of us was a river, flowing deep and cold.

"Lux." I whispered. The river Lux. The waters of death, according to legend. It waters were said to be so murky, and so poisoned that even fish couldn't live there.

I waved my staff, light erupting from the crystal. The army of Darkness was momentarily stunned. I waved it again, though I felt drained. The light flew around the river's waters, making huge waves which froze into ice, forming an icy bridge. I slumped down on Iris's withers. Then, with one last wave of the staff, the bridge melted, and I passed out into darkness.