4. Simon

When I woke up, Baz was already gone. I sighed knowing he was trying to avoid me. I should really tell the Mage what he is, but I keep seeing Baz's crying face and I can't bring myself to. I feel like if I don't tell anyone, I'll explode. I just keep replaying the night over and over in my mind. I had nearly blown him up on accident, but he almost sucked me dry, so I guess we're even. And then there was that moment....when his head was in my hands, and our mouths were so close.

I splashed cold water in my face, which had turned red. I don't know how much longer I can deny that I'm ga--, I interrupted my own thoughts. I can't think the word, it would make this all real. I need to stop thinking in general, it's one of the top rules of being The Chosen One. You give up your life and thinking too much only inhibits your ability to do as your told for the greater good. But I still end up pondering the meaning of life for hours. And I'm too careful in the things I do. 

I changed into my uniform and performed all the necessary hygiene procedures. I stared into my reflection for a little while and started fussing with my hair. I never bother with my hair. I started blushing again then rolled my eyes at myself. I couldn't believe how quickly I got over the fact that Baz is a bloodsucking demon. Then I remembered the look on his face, his puffy red eyes, his fangs biting his lips...

Part of me wonders if I dreamt the whole thing. I mean Baz looks just like a vampire. So much so, that he would be the last person you would accuse of being one. I should really tell the Mage. This is the moment I've been waiting for since the moment I met Baz. I hate him. Right? I hate him! He hates me at any rate. He probably looked at me the way he did just to put me through agony. I was so mixed up inside.

I ran down to breakfast, and my friends. Penelope greeted me with a hug. Penelope had long silky black hair and radiant brown skin. She was short and curvaceous, and wore her beloved thick-framed glasses. Agatha decided this was the premium time to make out with me passionately. As our lips locked, my emotions hit me harder than Muhammed Ali. I was gay. I was so gay. I was unbearably gay. I was so obviously gay, it caused me physical pain thinking about how in denial I had been. I couldn't deny it for another microsecond. I pushed Agatha away. She looked hurt. I couldn't focus on that right now.

"Guys, you won't believe what happened last night," I told them excitedly. I filled them in on following Baz and him almost biting me.

Penelope started cussing in Hindi. "Chipkali ke jhaat ke paseene, oh dear Ganesha help me in this time of trouble." I laughed. Agatha didn't say anything, she was dumbfounded. "Why are you so calm right now, have you told the Mage?" I shook my head. Penelope slapped my shoulder in surprise. "Man what is going on with you today?!" 

"You didn't see him," I said spacily. "He was in pain."

"Woah, Romeo," Penelope laughed. I laughed nervously. At that second Baz entered the cafeteria, no sign of last night. He was all swagger and cold distance. We all stared at him for a minute.

"I think you should tell the Mage," Agatha said at last. "It's just not safe to have a monster like that running around." I shot her a glare. 

"Maybe," I recovered. I was being too obvious. The damage was already done.

"You know if you and Penelope are hooking up, you can tell me," she said angrily. I had to keep down laughter. Penelope didn't succeed. She was nearly crying. Agatha got up with an angry "ugh" and stormed out of the cafeteria. I like Agatha, I really do, but the second she left, me and Penelope erupted into fits of laughter. Penelope really was my best friend. She was the most powerful wizard I knew, and she was always laughing. Always looking for the next thrill. I love that about her.

I sobered up. I had to tell her.

"Penelope?" I cleared my throat. She looked over at me with tears rolling down her eyes. She wiped one away dramatically, her soaring laughter now just fits of giggles. "Penelope, I'm gay."

"Well duh!" she replied. Then we exploded into round two of laughter. Relief washed over me as we let all of our problems dissolve momentarily.

Crave by Tristam