5. Baz

I jump every time I turn a corner, expecting the Mage and his squadron of brainwashed soldiers to take me away. I jump internally of course, I have regained composure since I have a full stomach. Simon and I walked back to our dorm together which was beyond weird. Once he fell asleep I snuck out to finish what I had started. Anyways, I haven't been imprisoned yet. Simon's probably waiting to put me through more torture. I just want to get it over with. 

I sauntered into the cafeteria, purposely avoiding eye contact with Simon and his posse. I proceeded to get pancakes and fruit, feeling their eyes burning the back of my head. I decided to become a vegetarian along with a vampire, hopefully evening out the deaths I caused.

This apparently amused my cronies. They kept offering me bacon like it was an original joke. I rolled my eyes at them. It was getting really hard to ignore Simon. Agatha had just stormed off, and he and Penelope were laughing like hyenas at a stand up comedy convention. Strange.

What I really needed was my violin. I only played in private during meals, because the Mage is too intent on the Insidious Humdrum to give a flying fuck about music. I got up without bothering to finish my food.

"Baz, where are you going?" asked crony number one.

"Sorry, I forgot something in my room. I'll see you guys later okay?" I told them dismissively. They just shrugged and continued being complete assholes like normal. That's why they were my friends I guess. I'm a Pitch, a superior family, nobility. Being an asshole is my thing.

I strolled through the school grounds, my fingers itching for my violin. It is a truly a beautiful instrument, no expense was spared. It was a beautiful deep dark brown with an elegant pattern etched on the border. Every detail, from the f holes to the bridge, were flawlessly crafted. I had to restrain from getting gut core strings, because of my aforementioned trying to even out the deaths I condone. The bow was equally as exquisite, and I made sure I restringed it every six months.

My mouth was practically watering when I reached our dorm. I had to use a wire stand at school, which was actually the bane of me. Even more than Simon fucking Snow. It didn't matter because I knew what piece I wanted to play, and I already had it memorized. Paganini's Caprice no. 4 in C Minor. It's emotional, and horrifically hard. Just what I need.

From there it was just a matter of getting completely lost in the cocoon of music. If I was going to die, I wanted this to be the last thing I ever did. The passion that comes from playing a classical instrument is unreal and unrivaled.

I hit the last quadruple stop with a sigh. It's been a while since I nerded out so intensely. It was exactly what I needed. I looked at the clock and ran out the door. I was going to be late! 

Caprice No.4 in C Minor by Niccolò Paganini <3