Chapter 24: Sword Thieves

That night, I didn't have to visit Seamus. I was satisfied that evening. I longed to see the Amycus and Alecto's faces in the morning. The unexpected had just happened and we waited for reactions.

I awoke in the morning at seven o'clock. It was the first time in a long time that I slept comfortably on my own. I got dressed and headed down to the Great Hall. On the way there, I noticed a clump of people surrounding a wall in a corridor. Alecto and Amycus were standing amongst them.

Joy filled me. I couldn't wait to see their reactions at our crime. I managed to make way in the group of students staring at the vandalism upon the wall. I kept my face hidden in the crowd so Alecto and Amycus wouldn't notice me.

"Who did this?!" Amycus asked Alecto.

"If I knew I think I'd be after them by now!" she boomed.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and saw Neville and Seamus standing behind me. We concealed our laughs as we watched the Carrows become flustered with each other. It was rather entertaining.

The three of us headed down to the Great Hall for breakfast. We mimicked Amycus and Alecto's expressions and the tone of their voices. We were getting a kick out of watching them get angry and have no clue as to what was coming at them. Painting the walls was just the start. We had more tricks up our sleeves.

We sat down at the Gryffindor table. I noticed Hagrid enter the hall. You couldn't really miss him considering he was a half-giant. He spotted me and I shyly smiled. Hagrid quickly retreated his eyes to the front of the room, not evening thinking about making any eye contact. I found this rather odd.

He walked over to the teachers table and passed us while doing so. An envelope hidden up his sleeve was quickly tossed in front of Neville. Hagrid sneaked a glance over at us to see if we got it.

Neville immediately opened the envelope. It was of course from Aberforth. This was the first letter and we were on the edge of our seats waiting to hear about what was happening outside the castle. Neville and the rest of us scooted closer together so he could read from the letter.

"'Dear Kids,'" Neville began. "'Just like I said, I promised I'd keep you updated with everything that's happened. You're little rebellion is a hot topic that is often discussed in Hogsmeade. Many people are trying to rise up against You-Know-Who and his army. The thing is, they're on the verge of dying because of it. I hope this won't happen to any of you.

"'I'm going to say this now, I think you should stop whatever it is you're doing. Even thinking about standing up to the Death Eaters will get you killed. And to make a club about my brother won't make it any better. If you're going to lead a rebellion named after a leader, you should've named it after a better one. I am not like you kids, I think differently. And I think that we've practically already lost this war.

"'Even though I do not have the same hopes and beliefs like you children, I still feel responsible for you all. I'll continue to write and update you on everything that's going on. Until next time, Aberforth.'"

Neville folded up the piece of paper and put it back in its envelope. He carefully placed it in his pocket so no one would find it.

"We're going to prove him wrong," I blurt out.

Aberforth doesn't have much faith. He thinks we're good as dead, but I don't think that. I think we're close to taking down the Death Eaters, we just have to try a littler harder. Aberforth may not have a reason to fight, but I do.

***

The day was like any other. I went to muggle studies where Alecto complained about muggles and Neville looked at me the entire time, shaking his head, trying to prevent me from doing anything violent. I tried my best and left class without jumping over my desk just to attack her.