'5'

Chapter 5

I learnt that when you are trying to connect with Luke, it's like taking one step forward and then several steps back.

I didn't see the brooding, mysterious boy for several days after the fire escape situation. It seems that he was always trying to avoid me - shown through the fact that every time I went out, he seemed to be cocooned in his room. And then whenever I was inside, I swear I could hear the clank of his lock and the creak of his door as he left his flat. Sometimes I thought about jumping out the front door and ambushing him so that he would have to stop avoiding me, but I knew that would be a waste of time - especially because Luke didn't seem to care about me at all.

So I didn't see Luke for a couple of days, and it made me become more and more curious about him.

The day I saw him again; I woke up to the sound of a thunderstorm. Thunder banged loudly on the streets, and the sound echoed and shook the walls of my flat. Rain splattered hard on my windows, the sound being loud and unbearable. I woke up with a groan, my eyes squinting as I stared out at the gloomy day that had graced me. I glared, my eyes dark as I cursed God for the weather he brought to me today. It meant that I had to reorganize my outfit so that it was suitable for the rain. I groggily climbed out of bed, the pads of my feet meeting the cold carpet causing me to shiver. I got up and stumbled over to the bathroom, chucking my PJ's off and jumping into the shower. As soon as the warm water blasted against my skin, I became more alert, everything inside me beginning to wake up and accustom to the day that surrounded me.

After my shower, I dried off and wrapped my towel around me – walking back into my bedroom to get changed. I ended up wearing some simple black jeans and my white and blue shirt. This was accompanied by my grey scarf and sneakers. The sneakers I wore were Nike's which my mother had gotten me two years ago. She told me I wasn't to go outside without wearing the best, otherwise I would disgrace myself or worse, her. I then did my hair, making sure it wasn't dripping wet, along with some slight makeup before I grabbed my purse and mobile. I then headed out the door and to the local coffee shop.

The trip was not long, considering it was way earlier then usual and the shop had only just opened. There was a man about my age at the counter, with curly brown hair who smiled brightly in greeting. I ordered my latte, which I received in within the next minute and then I was back on the streets heading towards my block of flats so that I could relax back into a routine of sorts. I held my umbrella tightly in one hand and my coffee in the other. The rain had stopped pelting down, however it sprinkled slightly and I didn't want my warm coffee to become cold and disgusting.

I walked into the lobby and put my coffee down so that I could shut my umbrella, I then grabbed it again before proceeding into the stairwell, unlocking the door that led into it. I was in the elevator, with the doors beginning to shut when I heard someone yelling for me to wait. I furrowed my eyes in confusion and pressed the button so that the doors would open again, to be greeted by a flustered boy.

No, it was not Luke.

This boy was tall, at a similar height to Luke, with broad shoulders and muscular toned arms. He had jet black hair and caramel brown eyes, that were soft and warm – unlike the boy I knew. He had a round face, oval shaped eyes and a button nose and his facial structure made me believe he was from some sort of Asian heritage. He flashed me a smile, a bright grin that brightened his already shining eyes. He stepped inside, and the doors shut as the lift began to rise. I moved so that he could press the button to which level he was going to, but he took notice of my movement and shook his head.

"Don't worry about it, I'm heading to same level you are" He told me, his Australian accent shining through. It was then I realized that he must be a friend of Luke's.