Chapter V

Ryenne:

The dream of my parents has haunted me for weeks on end. I have tried several things to get rid of the dream, but it always comes back. The dream is never-ending, until I die, and if I do die, I cannot respawn like in a video game. I simply wake up. In the dream, I have done several things to try and figure out why I was put there. I keep trying to touch my parents, and when I try I instantly die. An instant wake-up. I have tried to fight them, when they had attacked me, but they have only simply beat me until I jumped up, and the weight change would throw me into the stars and kill me in emptyness. I've tried to run away, but that only got me to where I started -- only behind my parents. The dream was inevitable. Sometimes I just jump up, and wake up to avoid the incoming doom. However I can move around and control this dream, I can never control my parents. They always react however they wish to, almost as if they are sharing the dream with me. But what is interesting.. Only my father moves freely, I have noted. My mother just follows along like a clone. As if she was elsewhere...

The dream woke me early tonight. I woke at twilight. I shook my head, and tried to rest again while the sun sets. I had a feeling tonight would have interesting happenings. Tiring happenings at that. I managed to fall into a dozing-state of sleeping, which satisfied me. My parents were not in my daze, so I rested soundly. That is, until I heard a sharp rapping at my back door that aroused me, and filled me with anger. I got up, slowly, and sluggishly shuffled to the door. I threw open the door with a foul, "What!" 

"Nice to see you too Ryenne." It was Evangeline. She walked past me and sat down at the kitchen table. 

"Sorry. You woke me up. You should know that really pisses me off." 

"I do, but this is not a joy visit. This is serious." Her tone made me worry. It was sad, angry, and quivering at the same time. I looked up.

"What happened?" I asked, wanting to take the words back. I did not want to know. But something nagged at the back of my mind that it was important and I needed to ask anyway. 

"Jarede, uhm.." She trailed off, looking for the right words, I guessed. "He got into a fight with the pack, I think. And they ganged up on a vampire. Well, I'm not quite sure what happened, but they killed her." A tear drop fell from her eye and gently rolled down her cheek. It must've been a good friend. 

"Who were the other wolves? Besides Jarede." I inquired, fury building up inside of me.

"I'm not sure. I think there was about three others; four wolves total." Evangeline's voice cracked at 'four.' 

I nodded, stood up, and with a final, "I'm going to find Jarede and try not to rip his throat out." I was out the door. I was so furious I was shaking, and it didn't take me long to find Jarede. He was laughing and smiling from a distance but when he saw me his face drained of all color. The men around Jarede saw me as well, and made themselves scarce. Jarede thought about making a run for it but when he took one step not in my direction I ran and grabbed him by the throat and asked him the most obvious question: "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!"

He didn't answer me and I squeezed a little on his throat. He managed to choke out, "I.. We didn't mean to kill her.. We didn't me--" 

"BUT YOU DID KILL HER! DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? EVEN THOUGH YOU DIDN'T MEAN TO KILL HER, IT DOESN'T BRING HER BACK. IT WAS A GOOD FRIEND OF MY SISTER. NOT TO MENTION MY SISTER'S KIND. I HAVE HALF A MIND TO RIP OUT YOUR THROAT.  YOU HAVE NOT EVEN A MINUTE TO CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE." I dropped him and he fell to the ground, gasping for breath. 

After he had caught his breath somewhat, he started to explain. "Rye.. We didn't mean to, I swear it. I feel really bad about it. Kurt, Alix, Jaems, and I were walking around last night and she just comes up and starts to yell at us. I think her name was Lizye. Well, Alix got really angry and shifted forms and started to bark and we told him to quiet down. Lizye still wouldn't be quiet so he pounced and I shifted forms and tried to intercept him, but it ended up throwing me on top of Lizye and causing me to snap her neck without me knowing. Kurt ran off, but Jaems was trying to distract Alix long enough for me to get her away, but by the time Alix was distracted Lizye was long gone.." Jarede seemed very depressed by this. 

I took several deep breaths and decided to let him live. Though I wasn't sure I'd let Alix live. He did cause all of this. I turned and went back to my house and tried to explain this to Evangeline, who looked surprised when I walked into the door. 

I was quite calm, because I knew I would have a brawl with Alix later on. Measuring up Evangeline, she looked surprised. Her eyes were bulging, and she looked scared. I spoke carefully, not wanting to upset her. "I found Jarede, and we talked." 

"Did you talk or did you just threaten him until he confessed?" She murmured. 

"A little of both," I chuckled at the memory. "But he explained everything. Liyze came up to them, and started to yell at them. Alix, Kurt, and Jaems were all there. Alix got really angry with her and shifted-- barking madly. The guys tried to calm and quiet Alix, but Liyze just kept on and on. Alix pounced on her, and Jarede shifted as well, trying to get him off of her. It ended up throwing Jarede on top of Liyze and accidentally snapping her neck. Kurt ran off, and Jaems tried to distract Alix, to allow Jarede some time to get Liyze away. However, when Alix was distracted, Liyze was long gone. Jarede still feels bad about it, but I might have a brawl with Alix later." 

I studied her for any signs of emotion that might not be exactly good; there was nothing to be found. She looked shocked at my news, and that made me wonder. What was she thinking?