Chapter VIII

Evangeline:

Us Vampires held a nice funeral for Lizye and moved on with our lives, after we found out what happened to her. We now act as if she was never there. A tactic we adapted because of the war that my mother had ended so many years ago. 

"Numb," I told Ryenne, after he asked after the service. "We're all still numb from the war that Mom stopped so long ago..." I trailed off, because it was too painful to think about Mom.

Ryenne thought it a great time then to tell me a rather interesting story. "Evangeline, I need to tell you about a dream I've been having for quite a while now." He stopped, and looked up. I must have looked curious, so he continued. "It's about Mom and Dad-- Don't look at me like that." I was shocked, but he must've misinterpreted my expression. "It's not a nightmare. Anyway, I have this dream and I have had it every night for the last few months. It's a never-ending dream it seems, too. I would be in this... Forest type place. Rocks and mountains, rivers and trees. It was all there. And when I followed any path in any direction, there I would see Mom and Dad. I could never touch them, and when I tried, they would attack. Almost as if they want nothing to do with me, just to watch. I learned the first night that every time my weight shifted--such as, if I jumped-- the whole world would move with me. Also, when they attack, me, Dad always seems the most alert, and Mom always seems to just follow what he did, and most of the time she would miss because it's two wolves against each other and she can't transform. It's so odd.." He paused for a deep breath. I was terrified. I have had the same dream. But the exact opposite. 

"Ryenne.. I've been having something similar to to the same dream. Only.. I'm standing in a desert-type place. I would walk, and each step, the ground would tilt. Very slight, until you start running. Then I'll see them, Mom and Dad. Just as I remember them. The first time, I jumped off the cliff I had created, and then I woke up. Then the next night, it was the same dream. Then one time, I... I tried to hug Mom. Because damnit Ryenne, I miss my mom." I stopped there, to make sure my voice won't quiver or break and to dry my eyes. "But she threw me off the cliff. And I woke up furious. She still does not want me! What do I have to do to get them back Ryenne?!" 

He didn't answer, but he embraced me in a rib-crushing hug. I started to hyperventilate, and I was kind of embarrassed about it. I tried to calm down as best as I could, and as fast as I could. When I could talk , I added, "And when they attack, Dad always acts as if he isn't there! Mom always does the attacking."

He seemed to ponder over this, and I tried to guess what he was thinking. But I couldn't think clearly and I gave up shortly after trying in the first place. He spoke, "Angel," His childhood name for me, "What could this mean? Do you think our parents might come back?"

This was an excellent question. I didn't know what it meant. I thought it was just a figment of my imagination and I was dreaming this to piss myself off. But since we were both sharing virtually the same dream, it started to seem like there is a purpose. "I don't know, Rye. I hope so. Being alone in the world with just your brother is a hard thing to do. I've had to raise you until you could go completely on your own. At age 16." 

I could remember the day that Mom and Dad left. It is still quite vivid. I remember it so clearly because of the weeks after they left that I replayed the scene in my head because I never wanted to forget how my mom and dad looked. . .

"Angel... Honey, you have to wake up..." A voice cooed out to me. I tried to ignore it, I was too tired to care. I wanted to sleep. "Angel. Come on, dear. You have to wake up. Now." The voice said, and then someone shook me violently. I grunted. "That's better.. Now please get up and get ready. We're leaving early today. 

"Okay..." I opened my eyes a crack, and I looked up at my mom. She was a shorter woman, with wavy auburn hair surrounding her dark blue eyes that never seemed to find an end. She had a soft jawline, and full lips. Her skin was pale, and it was soft to the touch, like a feather. She was a Vampire, and so was I. 

I got out of my warm bed and the cold cruel air around me bit my nude legs. I changed out my shorts for skin-tight jeans, and tightened them further with a rainbow-studded belt. I pulled on a black slimming long-sleeved t-shirt. After getting dressed, I sauntered into the bathroom. I brushed my teeth quickly, and I rinsed out my hair and dried it with a hair dryer. My hair was long-- it tumbled in thick, wavy locks to just underneath my breast. I brushed it out and went downstairs into the living room. My brother, Ryenne was already there. 

"Hey shithead." I said to him. 

"Fuck off, Angel." He retorted. I walked into the kitchen and found my parents there, talking in whispers that I couldn't understand. When they saw me, they simply said "Get in the car." 

I did as I was told, and went into the car. It was cold, from being left outside all night. Ryenne followed suit shortly after me. My parents got in the car a half hour afterwards. 

We drove. And we drove. It took all day, even. Ryenne fell asleep, but I was more than awake. What were they doing? They didn't talk, or look at us. Where they taking us on a short-lived vacation? What was going on? I didn't have much longer to wait. Soon after, we went through a small town. They stopped at a house, and they said to, "Get out of the car." i woke Ryenne and did as I was told. I expected Mom and Dad to get out to, but with a cold glance, Mom threw keys out the window and they sped out. I was apalled. Confused. Angry. Sad. Ryenne couldn't grasp what had just happened.

"Wha--?" He asked. 

"Nothing." I said in a staccato kind of way. I was livid. I picked up the keys in the driveway, and went up to the house, fumbling with the lock. When we got in, I sat on the couch that was inside. Ryenne came in and went to look around the house. I cried. I cried because we were abandoned. I cried because we were 16 and 14. I cried because I was hurt. I cried because I didn't have a family anymore. I cried because I could. 

After I finished crying, I picked myself off the couch, and found my room. I went to sleep that night, but not well. I knew what this meant. It meant I was going to have to raise Ryenne until he is 18. That was 4 years. Could I do 4 years? I didn't know. I did know that we were now completely on our own.