Chapter Seven: Schmidt Happens

After two or three...or seven more times of going around the block, I climbed up into the front seat and took the wheel.

"Whoa, what are you doing?!" Nick asked. I pulled the car over for her, sitting back down in my seat.

"This is your chance Jess. You have to do it." She nodded, slamming the door shut and walking up to the door. She rang the doorbell and he opened it.

"That's the wizard?" Nick asked, "He's wearing a scrunchie."

"Looks like he juggles clubs on the beach."

"He's the kind of hippy idiot that rides bikes everywhere and doesn't believe in mail." I told them.

"Didn't you just kind of assume that he'd have a handlebar mustache."

"Schmidt, nobody thought that." I told him.

"Come on, Jess, just go in there and get that TV." He hugged her.

"Don't hug him back. Don't-" We all groaned as she wrapped her arms around his waist.

"Oh, that's not healthy." Then she picked up one of the dead plants on the porch.

"Uh-oh. Uh oh. What is she doing?"

"OH!" We all yelled as she threw the plant, breaking the pot.

"I'M COMING IN!"

"Jess! Take your shoes off! We keep an Asian household."

"Didn't see that coming." Winston said.

"She gonna be ok in there?" Asked Nick.

"I don't think it's her you should be worried about." She came out, carrying the TV, some bags, and wearing a hat.

"I got it! It's really heavy but I got it."

"Oh my gosh we created a monster." Schmidt said.

"She looks like Helena Bonham Carter."

"Oh no, she's gonna drop, soft hands, Jess." Winston warned.

"Jess, come on, let's share it, you know, work out a system." Spencer begged.

"Hey, hey! That's my shirt."

"No, this is my t-shirt."

"No, that is my shirt! It has my name on it!"

'Don't drop it. Jess, don't...Don't,"

"Everybody out." She dropped the TV. She started pulling the shirt off of his back.

"GIVE ME MY SHIRT!"

'NO, I like this shirt!"

"Hey, Jess, no, no, no, no, no. Stop, stop, stop, stop." Nick wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her back.

"Who are these guys?"

"They're our roommates." I told him.

"Rebecca, Hi."

"I'm going to get the rest of your stuff." I told her. I came out to see the guys wearing Jess's ridiculous hats. I smiled.

"I'm glad you cheated on me, because if you hadn't, I would have married you. And then you would have hurt me all over again. And yeah, I was scared to start over. I didn't know what to do, and yeah, I'm living with Rebecca and three guys I met on the internet. and yeah, stranger danger is real." Schmidt looked at me. "But I love these guys. I barely know them, I just met him, but I love them." Winston joined Nick and Schmidt, putting on one of the hats.

"I would just take it easy with the love stuff." They all said.

"All of them."

"Give her the shirt back man." I walked up, putting on one of the hats too.

"You heard him."

"And what happens if I say no?"

"You know what happens? Schmidt happens." He slapped him in the face.

"Ow! What was on your hand?"

"Thumb ring! You got some Schmidt on your face."

"You know what? Fine, here, take it." He gave her the shirt and I started wheeling her bike out, throwing a bell at him. I handed it off to Jess.

"Oh, Spencer?" I asked. "One more thing." I punched him square in the nose, which started bleeding.

"OW!"

"You have no clue what you just lost. And you look like a douche-bag."

"I thought we were gonna handle this like adults, Jess."

"Yeah, and I thought you were the love of my life, so...suck it, Mr. Crabs." She went around, fist bumping all of us and we loaded up the car.

~~~

We sat on the couch in front of the TV, which was held to the cabinet by Duct tape. I sat next to Schmidt, who had his arm over the back of the couch behind me. I scooted closer to him, leaning against him. I looked up at him and smiled.

"You guys are awesome. I'm gonna make you so much jam. We're gonna have a jam sesh."The TV tilted to the side, and we all tilted are heads.

"Ok, what're we watching."

"I have some DVD's. Um, Adventures in Babysitting, Prancer, Newsies, Curly sue."

"I'm going out." Winston said. The other guys followed, but Schmidt ran back.

"Curly Sue, let's do this."

"Alright, let me go get it." Schmidt sat with his feet propped up on the coffee table, and I leaned back against him.

"Thank you...what you did for Jess today was really great."

"I didn't just do it for Jess. I know what she means to you." I smiled, looking up at him. His eyes flicked to my lips again. Slowly, he started leaning in. Our lips were centimeters away.

"Ok, let's go." I jumped away from him, sitting with my back against the couch. She put the DVD in, seemingly having seen nothing." I looked down at my feet, biting my lip as the movie started to play. I looked up at Schmidt, who smiled at me, causing me to blush yet again.

This man is gonna be the death of me, I swear.