Chapter Eleven: What The Crap Just Happened?

I slammed the door shut as I walked back into the apartment.

"Hey, how'd the job go?" Nick asked from the couch.

"It was a group of teenagers with their mom's family album camera!" I yelled, walking back to my room and slamming the door.  Nobody wants to hire me lately, and it sucks. I flopped back on my bed, then decided that I was going to go running. I needed to clear my head.

~~~

I changed my clothes, jammed my earbuds into my ears and took off

I changed my clothes, jammed my earbuds into my ears and took off. After about fifteen minutes, I was keenly aware of someone running beside me. I looked over to see that it was Schmidt. I took my headphones out.

"Hey." I said. I paused, tightening my ponytail and bending over, my hands on my knees, breathing heavily. "Dude, you have got to get some longer shorts."

"Yeah? So do you." We laughed, an I stood up. "Aren't you supposed to be at a job right now?"

"Yeah...except it wasn't a real job. It was a scam put on by a bunch of pervy teenagers."

"Oh my gosh, are you ok?" He asked, looking slightly angry.. I held my hands up.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I left as soon as I found out and told them that if I ever found out they did that again I would get them arrested. But to be honest, it kind of sucked since it was the first job I've had in nearly a month."  He nodded. "Do you think I'm attractive, Schmidt?"

"Yeah, of course. Who wouldn't?" I sat down on the curb.

"I'm just trying to figure out why no one will hire me. I just don't get it, am I not pretty enough, not skinny enough, not tall enough, what? What am I doing wrong?" He sat down beside me.

"Hey, you're not doing anything wrong. If anything, they're screwing up."

"I don't think that's true though, Schmidt? I know I say that I hate this job so much, but it makes me feel like...like I could be beautiful...just as beautiful as CeCe."

"I thought you'd forgiven me for that." He said.

"It's not just you, Schmidt. Everyone always choses CeCe. Men, employers...Jess."

"What do you mean, Jess?" He questioned.

"Nothing. I shouldn't have said anything." I stood up, taking off and putting my headphones in again. An insecure model...that's not something you see every day.

~~~

When I got home, Jess, Winston, and Schmidt were sitting on the couch, and Nick was standing in front of them.

"Rebecca!" Nick said.

"I was just gonna go take a shower-"

"Sit down."

"Ok." I walked over quickly, sitting beside Jess.

"We live in a house with rules! We knock! We have doors, and we knock on those doors!"

"I'm sorry Nick." Jess said.

"Just knock!" She picked up the feeling stick from the coffee table.

"Nick...I-"

"Put that down."

"But we have to talk-"

"Nothing to talk about." Winston reached over me, taking it.

"I feel that Nick Is not honoring the feeling stick." Schmidt took it too. "I feel me too."

"What is going on with you too! What are you doing!" Winston took it again.

"I feel Nick is yelling."

"Stop it!" He left, going to his room. I got up and headed to the shower.

~~~

I sat on top of the breakfast bar, a piece of celery in my hand.

"Rebecca, what are you doing?" Schmidt asked,  standing in front of me.

"I was hungry. Celery has zero calories-" He took it out of my hand, chucking it into the trash-can. "Hey! I wasn't done with that-"

"Stop it, Bec."

"Stop what!?" I asked.

"Stop the whole being insecure thing! Stop comparing yourself to CeCe, and please, my gosh, do not start dieting. You're not like other models, Bec, and that's why you don't get hired. You're too down to earth, too normal, and considerably too good for this."  I raised my eyebrows. "So...that's what I have to say about that."

"What was that, Schmidt?" I asked.

"That was me telling you that you don't need modelling to be attractive...you already are...in more than just the physical."

"So...you're saying that in your personal opinion...I'm not only attractive in the way I look-"

"Quit playing dumb, Bec. you know what I'm saying." And before I knew it, his hands were on my face and his lips were on my mouth. He moved his hands to my waist and I wrapped my arms around his neck, kissing him back. He brought one hand up, tangling it in my frizzy, un-brushed hair. He pulled away, and I leaned my forehead against his, looking into his eyes. He pulled away, going to his room and shutting the door.

"What the crap just happened?"