Chapter Eight: Wedding

"It's our first wedding together, so we need nicknames. Nick is Knickknack, or Mr. Suspenders."

Nick, Schmidt, and I sat on Jess's bad while she looked for a dress to wear to the wedding.

"No nicknames, ok? Your only job tonight is to be Nick's girlfriend, ok? and make sure that he stays out of trouble with Caroline."

"Why can't you and Winston help?"

"We've tried. He doesn't listen to us any more."

"He's right, I don't."

"Well what about Rebecca?"

"That's not believable enough. Nick needs a more normal looking girl to make it realistic." I rolled my eyes.

"Duh, duh, duh, duh!" She came out with this ugly, floral, disgusting dress.

"No."

"That is the ugliest dress I have ever seen, Jess."

"I'm really gonna need you to step it up tonight, ok? When I see you, I want to be thinking wo let the dirty slut out of the slut house." I slapped his chest with the back of my hand.

"Shut up, Schmidt." I walked into her closet, pulling out a purple dress and a pair of shoes. I took her hair out of it's bun. "Get dressed." I sat back on the bed.

"Yo, let's go, I can't be late. I am in the wedding."

"You're the usher, so relax."

"I need to go get ready." I grabbed my dress, going to the bathroom and changing.

I paired my pink dress with a pair of strappy silver heels and curled my hair, adding light make-up to finish it off

I paired my pink dress with a pair of strappy silver heels and curled my hair, adding light make-up to finish it off. I walked out into the living room, to see everyone ready to go. Jess looked much better.

"Wow..." Schmidt said, looking at me. "Who let-"

"I will punch you. Square in the face." I told him.

"You look great too!" Nick said, coming out.

"Thanks. Let's go."

~~~

We walked in, Nick's arm around Jess's is waist, and mine wound through Schmidt's.

"You wanna know my beauty secrets? The only way I could fit into this dress was by wearing little girl's bicycle shorts underneath. They are tight. I will not be peeing tonight. Oh my gosh, bubbles. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, Jess, no bubbles, please."

"Ooh, a lot of big game here tonight. Yo. Oh. Oh, there's Brooke."

"Who's Brooke?" Jess and I asked together.

"He's been into her since Freshman year. She used to get drunk and pass out on our porch. It was like having a hot alcoholic cat."

"I'd always leave water out for her. Ok. Tonight just got real. She goes on top of the kill list."

"Because you're going to attempt to kill her by having sleeping with her?"

"More or less, yeah."

"Oh, Schmidt, one day you're gonna kill the nicest girl." I laughed. We walked over to a table and Schmidt handed us all a glass of Champaign.

"Oh no, no, not tonight!" He said. I looked over to see a woman in a pant-suit, staring at him.

"Who is that?"

"That's Gretchen Nelson. She's a terrible person, we can't stand each other. At every wedding, we end up...sleeping together. Oh, no she's coming over."

 "Oh look, there's those people that we know."

"Oh, what people?"

"Hello, Gretchen. I see you wore the pantsuit again."

"This is a new one. It's got way more stretch...in the pants."

"That's horrible."

"Are you ready for tonight?"

"He better be." I said, wrapping an arm around him. "We're gonna have a great one, aren't we, Babe?"

"Yeah we are." He said, leaning his forehead against mine and going along with it.

"It was nice meeting you." I said, leading Schmidt away from her.

"Oh my gosh, that was amazing!" He said, wrapping an arm around my waist.

"We have got to stop meeting like this." I told him. He laughed.

~~~

I sat at the table with Schmidt, just talking. He groaned as he saw Gretchen, doing lunches and gesturing to certain parts of her. I made a face before grabbing his tie and pulling him towards me, whispering in his ear.

"I don't know this is working." I pulled away, smiling and looking at her from the corner of my eye. He put a hand on my knee, sliding up slightly under the hem of my dress.

"She probably just doesn't care. She's a vile person." Grabbed his hand. "Sorry, I forgot."

"It's fine. So, why did you get yourself into this mess anyway?" I took a sip of my drink.

"I was drunk...and desperate. Now she just kind of makes me."

"Say no." I told him.

"I can't! She's really freakishly strong." I turned to see Brooke coming towards us.

"Brooke alert." I turned away from him and he struck up a conversation.

"So, what are you drinking. White wine?"

"I'm not. I'm six months sober. Can I have a seltzer please?"

"Me too!"

"Six months."

"Well, seven. One more."

"Your white wine."

"What? What? That's a mistake." I turned around.

"Sorry, that's mine." I took a sip. "Ooh, hot guy. Hey, Rebecca."

"Sorry, I'm kind of talking to someone right now." He said gesturing towards Brooke.

"What a shame..." I ran a hand down his arm. "You're so hot." He moved my hand, turning back to Brooke. She walked away and he smiled at me.

"Oh my gosh, thank you so much!"

"No problem, Schmidt. Come see me if you need a drink."

"Thank you, so much. I owe you one."

"You sure do." He left and I knocked back the wine rather quickly.

This is going to be a long day.