Confessions

I looked around the room. Everything was the same as when I visited last. I've brought Arianna here a few times as well. It was the best place to go to when my father had one of his drunken fits. Alice's parents were hardly ever home, and when they were, they were the nicest family in the world. Alice's brother, Nate, was also one of my best friends. 

"Ry!!! Dinna's ready!" Arianna's voice called out to me from downstairs, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Coming" I replied. I got up, took one last look at the room that I spent more time in than my own house, and walked downstairs.

"Trouble at home again mate? It's been a while." Alice smiled at me.

"Yep. It has. We should go out sometimes, take Ari to the park or something."

"Ha, yeah, and then get totally drunk afterwards" Alice chuckled.

"Speaking of getting drunk, where's Nate today? He still at the bar?"

"HEY JOCK! Haven't seen you for a while!" a guy's voice shouted excitedly.

Alice groaned "That'll be him." 

I stood up, and turned around to see the brown haired and brown eyed guy that i was looking for.

"That's what she said!" I grinned at him, pointing at Alice. She punched me. Hard.

"Ow" I smiled at her, and she glared at me, and turned to talk to Arianna.

"So, how you been? Wait-don't answer that", Nate chuckled,"So I heard something about getting completely smashed!"

"Yep, Alice said it" I replied.

"Awesome! You need to get out more mate.Get a girlfriend"

"I'm fine thanks." I smiled.

"Dudee, don't let my bad fortune turn you off dating!" Nate exclaimed. He was talking about his cheating ex, who after a year of dating, he found in a very unexcusable position with a guy on the hockey team in the cleaner's cupboard.  Turns out she had fucked the whole hockey and football team during the extent of their relationship. Nate had made regular trips to the local club since that day," So it's settled then! We'll go and get completely smashed tomorrow!"

"I'll stay here and look after Ari" Alice piped out. Arianna looked up from her bowl of mac and cheese to see Nate, and a large grin slowly crept onto her face.

"NATE! NATE! NATE! NATE!" Arianna shouted, running to her 'best friend'. You couldn't seperate them once they had started a game of 'Hide and Seek' or Arianna's favorite 'Tea Party'. I once saw Nate in an apron, and one of Alice's dresses, believe it or not.

"Hello Little Booga!" Nate grinned, scooping up his favorite little girl in the world. I watched as Arianna screwed up her face.

"Booga's are yucky! I saw a booga from Ry's nose!" Arianna exclaimed.

"Oh really?" Nate raised his eyebrows.

"Yep! It was green!...Like a cheese!" Arianna nodded.

"Now where did you see this green cheese?" Nate laughed. I chuckled, and reached for my glass of water and started to drink it. God, I was thirsty.

"In the fridge. In the middle of the yellow cake and the green bread." Arianna spoke nonchalantly. I choked on my water, and Nate grinned as he hit my back hard. 

"You alright there mate?" Nate grinned.

"Yeah thanks" I replied, not amused.

"It's no problem." He grinned again.

"Well I think it's time Ari went to bed."

"Aww...Can I stay up until morning like a big girl?"

"You've had a long day Ari, time to sleep." I replied, smiling at her.

"Okay..But I want Nate to read me a story!" Arianna jumped out of Nate's arms, and pulled his shirt.

"Sure. But you have to have a shower first." Nate smiled at her.

"Done." Alice piped out.

"Okay then, Come on Booga." Nate followed Arianna up the stairs. We watched them leave. 

"She's changed." Alice stated after some time," And you..there's something different about you..I can't put my finger on it.."

"When Nate gets back, I'll talk to you both."

"O...kay then" Alice shrugged. Silence was kept for a while as we finished our meals, and washed up. Finally Nate walked down the stairs. Alice sat down on the couch, and Nate and I followed. 

"So, Ryley. Spill." Alice told me.

I looked at them, unsure of how to put it.

"Well...Two days ago, I met Kwenda Jodes after school."

"What, you mean that poor girl you've been picking on since 5th grade?"

"Yeah."

"Well Al, she was kinda weird." Nate shrugged at his sister, and she sent him a disapproving look.

"Anyway, I said a couple of things that I shouldn't have said. I got to school the next day.., and Mr Dornes-"

"-HEY! Is that skinny man still there?!"

"Shut up Nate! Let him finish!" Alice shoved Nate angrily.

"Sorry" Nate held his hands up in surrender.

"Yeah, so Mr Dornes told me to go into his office, and he told me that Kwenda killed herself."

Alice gasped. Nate's jaw dropped. Alice got up, walked over to me, and started punching me.

"You"-punch-"Stupid"-punch-"Bully!"-punch-"That"-punch-"Poor"-punch-"Girl"-punch-"And"-punch-"Her"-punch-"Poor"-punch-"Parents". Nate got up and wrapped his arms around his little sister, refraining her from punching me.

"Shit mate. You're in a fucking hole right now."

"I know. I wish I'd never done it. But there's more"

Alice sighed sadly. "Go on"

This was the part I'd been dreading.

"I went home-and  Kwenda talked to me. She-She was in my mind...She showed me what happened-and-and she's still talking to me." I confessed.

Nate just stared at me, and Alice stared at the ground.

"I believe you." Alice said after some time, " I know you. And the Ryley I know wouldn't lie about this kind of stuff. Unless you've turned into some heartless maniac since I saw you last."

"Is she talking now?"

"Um, not yet. I'll talk to her."

"Kwenda, can you hear me?"

"Loud and clear Harred. Loud and clear." and I could hear the smile in her voice.