Chapter 5

Erica

It's a mixture of excitement and apprehension that surges my stomach like raging butterflies. My classmates probably felt like this on their first day of college last year. Or maybe, I'm just afraid that there is a possibility my health will betray me anytime.

Dr. Simon Alcala, my new cardiologist, okayed the result of my ECG. Although, HCM is still there, it's not going to post a big threat-not just yet. I still am on my meds anyway. I have to take in Calcium Channel Blockers to normalize my heartbeat and to reduce chances of having chest pains and palpitations. The effect of my meds makes me feel easily tired, but I always try to be careful that my blood pressure does not fall too low. The meds I take does nothing for my disease anyway, since HCM is chronic. I only take them to deal with some symptoms.

My parents prepared a buffet for breakfast. They were equally as excited as me. My father, who was a taxi driver even made special arrangement with his boss, so that every morning, he can bring me to school and every afternoon, he is available to pick me up. Yesterday, my mother shopped to buy me a new bag and a new pair of shoes. It feels like being in elementary when your mother buys you new things for school and you are so excited to use them. My sister was smiling ear to ear. It was also her first day of school. She was in her last year in high school and I was sure she was also excited for her senior year. I remember that not too long ago, I was a senior high school student. Carefree, adventurous and very active. On my first day of senior high, it never crossed my mind that I would be diagnosed with a chronic heart ailment.

"Guess what, ate? I did a research on your new school, I had no idea it is one of the most expensive schools in the country!"

The University of Andrade was indeed a very expensive school. Only the elite could afford it. I heard that the tuition for a sem could go as high as 100,000. I wasn't very confident about my choice of school for this very reason, but money matters isn't a big deal because the Alcala Foundation is in close ties with the school so a scholarship is offered to me and the University of Andrade is my dream school. I heard it's one of the best Medical schools in the country and even probably in Southeast Asia.

"It's okay." My father said over his cup of coffee. "You're sister is smart. She can manage and besides, the Alcala Foundation took care of every expense."

My sister Pat nodded. She turned to me with a suggestive smile. "I also found their Facebook page. There was an album about the campus heartthrob s and crushes. Wow," She paused and fanned herself. "Hotties overload! And did I mention that they're not just handsome, they're freaking rich, for crying out loud. OMG! It's just like a supermarket, except instead of groceries, it's guys." She turns frantically to our parents. "Ate can just collect and select."

"Ooooh!" My father lifted an eyebrow and was smiling in the same way as my sister. "If you get a boyfriend, Erica, make sure you get the most handsome one. Or the richest one."

My mom leaned over the table and put her hand on her waists. "No," She protests. Like other mothers, they wouldn't be supportive of the idea of their first year college daughter to already get a boyfriend. It's usually studies first, right?

"Erica, my dear." My mother cleared her throat. If she was going to ask me to focus on my studies first, I wouldn't have a problem with that. I'm not interested in boys, anyway. "If you want to have a boyfriend, the most important thing is that he must be God-loving not fearing and he must be kind, gentle and respectful."