Chapter 3: You're different

The image above has been censored because of the burn wounds infringing Wattpad rules. I apologize for the inconvenience.

"You never told me your name, you know?" Demi said while caressing her thumbs over my old mp3player. It had been a few weeks since our first meeting. Demi had her ups and downs and so did I. It seemed like she only hurt herself or got tantrums, or even epileptic attacks when I didn't have a shift with her. I never saw her doing anything inhuman, except for the fact that she sometimes screamed at me when she didn't want to obey me. Of course we argued allot. I didn't understand why she didn't hate me yet.

"I thought you knew my name already." I honestly replied. She softly shook her head.

"I have a nameplate on my vest and I thought people had informed you about me."

"I can't read." She muttered. I nodded to let her know I was aware of her illiteracy. I placed my nameplate between my fingers and pointed at the syllables while saying my name slowly.

"Se-le-na." She didn't look at the plate, she only stared into my eyes.

"Selena..." She repeated, almost in awe. I nodded again with a smile. She tensed her lips and stared into nothing. She looked back at me.

"How are you?" She asked for the hundredth time. I sighed. I hated to disappoint her all the time, about the fact that I didn't understand her.

"I.. I.." I stuttered while trying to find the words. She rolled her eyes, got up and walked over to her bathroom. She probably gave up waiting for an answer. The right answer if you will.

"Did you take a shower this morning?" I asked. She normally did that, but I had to check anyway.

"No. My psychiatrist made the appointment run out." She said while kicking off her simple sneakers. I checked my files to see if there were any specialties for this case. It only said I had to watch over her. Great, I thought, now I have to awkwardly look at her while she's... I turned around and saw a naked Demi in the doorway. She stood with her back towards me, not noticing I saw her. My jaw dropped to see something I never noticed. She had burn scars, all over her body. The red stains started from her upper legs, all the way to her shoulders. She turned to her side and I saw how the scars were spread a little over her stomach as well, but they stopped there. Her body was, despite the scars, amazingly beautiful. She wasn't skinny, but I would kill to have her feminine body parts. She was so different from all the other patients. She unsuspectingly pulled the bandages from her self-destructed wounds. I watched how she covered her wrists, ankles, and hips with pieces of garbage bags. After finishing her preparations, she stood still in front of the shower while covering her breasts. She stared at the tiles on the wall. I now realized she was waiting for me to enter the bathroom. I quickly threw the files on her bed and walked inside. I sat down on the stool and only now she turned the shower on. My eyes were glued to her. I couldn't stop myself from staring. What the heck was wrong with me? Maybe she didn't only turn on the shower. I smirked about myself with that thought. I looked down and rested my back on the wall.

"What?" Demi said while brushing the soap out of her hair.

"Nothing." I said swiftly, trying to avoid looking at her. If I would look at her for the slightest moment, I wouldn't be able to stop staring again. I saw her offended look in the corner of my eyes.

"Seriously, there's nothing." I stated again.

"You laughed. Did you laugh about me?"

"Yeah- I mean no. I mean, I laughed about myself."