Chapter 9: Heck, I love you

"A-are you having an attack?" I asked while leaning over her bed to get any kind of sign from her. If she had one, she wouldn't respond, so asking was alright.

"No." She said while her breath increased severely. She moaned as she started hyperventilating.

"Get up, get up now." I said swiftly as I pulled her up. She sat up while she still covered her head.

"G-go away!" She yelled. I was shocked by what I heard. I thought everything was going so well. But the way she was physically hurt didn't tell me this was just the fact that she didn't want this. There was more, or it was simply something else.

"What's going on? Are you hurt?" I grabbed her arm to get a glimpse of her face. She slapped my hand away and screamed at me. She screamed harder than ever.

"No no no no." She said swiftly. She laid herself down and lifted her knees back up. She cried painfully. She held her arm up as if she wanted to defend herself from any punches I could give her. I would never, of course. But that was it... She thought I was her father.

"Demi, who am I?" I said.

"I DON'T KNOW!" she screamed.

"Who do you see?"

"DON'T HURT ME." She didn't answer my question. I quickly sat down next to her and helped her sit up. She refused, but I made her. I hugged her tightly after she screamed at me again. She didn't know who she was hugging, I felt her pain. She must've been so confused.

"It's me Selena, I'm me, listen to my voice." I said calmly. Demi still hyperventilated in my arms.

"Breathe, Demi, please." I could not believe what happened. We were kissing one minute ago, and all of a sudden she saw me as someone else. But I knew that's something PTSD does to a person. I held my hand on the back of her head. She finally relaxed a little.

"Y-you're.." She didn't finish her sentence. She sighed deeply and rested her chin on my shoulder, she finally seemed to realize I was safe. We hugged for a little while, until I was sure she was completely calm.

"Come, some sleep might help." I said.

"D.. Don't.." Her gasps made it hard for her to speak. She was relaxed, yet highly alert if she wasn't hugging the wrong person. Anything I said could make it look like I was her father again. I made her lay down in bed. She kicked off her shoes and crawled underneath her blankets. She looked at me, I was quite certain she knew who I was again.

"I'm sorry." She said

"It's okay, don't be sorry." I stroked her hair a little.

"Can you sleep with me tonight?" She asked softly.

"I can't, Grace will be mad at me again."

"Again? I thought you left that night."

"I wouldn't." I said truthfully. Demi looked away guiltily.

"I-I'm scared.." She confessed. I sighed, I actually didn't care about Grace. I laid myself next to her. She immediately hugged me. She laid with her head beneath my head, as she twisted her leg around mine. She curled herself up, snuggling against me. It was cold in her room. I placed my arm underneath her neck and embraced her shoulder, holding her close.

"I forgot my medicine." she whispered, referring to her melatonin. 

"You're tired enough to sleep without it." I replied while closing my eyes.