CHAPTER NINE: KENMA KOZUME

The last time Kenma had been this excited... well, he hadn't actually been this excited before. The closest was when he got his hands on a signed copy of The Last of Us... well, whatever it was, Kenma was finally planning the mall raid of his dreams.
  There was a mall about half an hour's walk away from their current location, and at this point in time they couldn't afford to split the group over such a great distance, so they decided to shift their camp to check the mall out. There was a mutual agreement within the group that that place would be teeming with zombies considering a lot of people were in the mall, meaning more food for them. It would provide the perfect nest... they would have to be careful.
  Unfortunately, no one was familiar with the mall. They'd never been here before and it was too risky, putting all their eggs in one basket.
"G-guys...?"
Kenma heard a small voice and realized it was coming from Hinata.
"I remembered something."
"Well, it better be useful," Kuroo commented dryly, raising an eyebrow.
"Nishinoya-senpai and I raided a convenience store once and we...got some medical supplies, just that we left them on the other side of the river."
"They're probably filthy by now," Oikawa muttered, his brow furrowed. "Our best hope for clean supplies is an unused first aid kit from a mall."
"Or maybe they have a pharmacy," Kenma said, his tone hollow and empty. "We have to bet on this. That and maybe hope that someone dead has a powerbank we can borrow..."
All gazes were suddenly on Kenma.
"What?" he questioned. "I was just saying-"
"Okay, I don't know how we became friends in the first place." Kuroo ran a hand through his hair, and Kenma suddenly realized how thin his friend's arm had become. Scratch that, they were all thin from hunger.
If he was going to die in a zombie apocalypse, he sure as hell wasn't going to die from something as pathetic as starvation. He wanted to go down fighting, tearing a horde of zombies limb from limb. This was Kenma's code of honor, and-
"If you don't snap out of it we're going to leave you behind," Iwaizumi told Kenma, jerking the latter out of his thoughts. Then, turning to Kuroo, he asked, "Is he always like this?"
"Pretty much," he sighed, shrugging. "Although you have to admit he's pretty useful in such situations."
"If I were only "pretty useful" you'd all be dead by now," Kenma mumbled.
  "Yeah yeah, we all know that you're an expert, thank you very much," Oikawa called sarcastically. Obviously, he'd been eavesdropping on their conversation. "Come on, let's go."
  "Kind of sucks that they're pushing us around," Nishinoya commented to Hinata in an irritable tone. "Even if three of them are third-years and all that."
  Hinata nodded but internally he couldn't be more glad that there were more people he could look to for advice. He was the youngest among them, after all.
  "Have we got everything? Just a final check," Kuroo asked, while everyone dug in their bags or looked at what they were carrying in case they left anything behind. There wasn't much, to be honest, just their phones, some scraps of food they had found and bottles of water. It barely took them a second to check.
  "I've got everything."
  "Same here."
  "Me too."
  Kenma looked around at all of them, seeing their eyes blaze with determination to survive. Without casting a glance back at the shack in which they had made their old camp, he spoke, his voice strong and clear.
  "Let's move out."