Chapter 8

"They were there for two days, waiting, hiding. That's what we're taught to do when the hunters find us, hide and heal." Cora states. "Okay, so is two days standard then or are we thinking Derek's on like some extended getaway?" Stiles questions. "Why do you care?" Cora asks.

"Why do I care? Let's see because over the last few weeks, my best friend and girlfriend tried to kill themselves, his boss nearly got ritually sacrificed, a girl I've known since I was three was ritually sacrificed, Boyd was killed by alphas. Do you want me to keep going? Cause I can alright? For like an hour." Stiles rants.

"Do you think Derek can do anything about that?" Cora questions. "Well since he's the one everyone seems to be after, it's more like he should do something about it, yeah." Stiles replies. Scott and I decided to keep his possible True Alpha status under wraps for now. That means not even telling Stiles. "Let's not put the blame on Derek." I scold.

"I don't know. There's something different about him now. He wasn't like this when I knew him." Cora states. "What was he like?" Stiles asks. "A lot like Scott actually. A lot like most teenagers unbearably romantic, profoundly narcissistic, tolerable really only to other teenagers." Peter answers.

"Okay where the hell did you come from?" I question. "Nice to see you too." Peter responds. "And so what happened?" Stiles asks. "What changed him? Well, the same thing that changes a lot of young men, a girl." Peter states.

"You're telling me some girl broke his little heart? That's why Derek is the way he is?" Stiles questions. "He always seems so against teen love, saying it never lasts. I kinda want to know what happened." I say. "Do you remember Derek before he was an alpha had blue eyes? Do you know why some wolves have blue eyes?" Peter asks.

"I just always thought it was like a genetic thing." Stiles answers. "If it was genetic, Cora's eyes would be blue too dumbass." I respond. Stiles rolls his eyes at me. "If you want to know what changed Derek, you need to know what changed the color of his eyes." Peter says.

Peter then starts telling the story of how Derek met Paige during sophomore year. "Okay, so if Derek was a sophomore back then, how old was he? How old were you? How old are you now?" Stiles questions. "Not as young as we could have been, but not as old as you think." Peter answers.

"Okay that was frustratingly vague. How old are you?" Stiles asks. "I'm 17." Cora replies. "See, that's an answer. That's how we answer people." Stiles says. "Well, 17 how you'd measure in years." Cora clarifies. "Alright I'm just gonna drop it." Stiles sighs.

"What happened to Derek and Paige?" I question. "What do you think happened? They were teenagers. One minute it's I hate you don't talk to me, the next it's frantic groping in any dark corner they could manage to find themselves alone for five minutes." Peter says. Stiles rolls his eyes again.

"You know he's not wrong. You're just lucky we're in the second phase he mentioned." I state. "As I was saying. Their favorite dark corner was an abandoned distillery outside of Beacon Hills." Peter says. "Alright, hold up. How do you know all this? You just said they were alone." Stiles argues.

"Back then, I wasn't just Derek's uncle. I was his best friend, his closest confidante. That's how I know." Peter answers. "So he's had terrible judgement all of his life and you've been obsessed with teen drama all of yours." I state. "Just let me tell the damn story." Peter demands.

Peter then starts again telling us how a member of Ennis' pack got killed by the Argents, and he was out for blood. Peter draws a spiral on the condensation on the window. "Our mark for vendetta." Peter says. "Man you guys take that whole revenge thing to like a whole new level don't you?" Stiles asks.