Old cities

Doon was cured. Poppy was cured. All the healthy people who could be brought back from their illness were cured. But unfortunately this brought about the revelation that there were some people too far gone to be saved. And Tara had to break their hearts. This is one of the reasons Lina isn't too keen on trusting Tara to take them to an area where a chance at life may be more possible than where they are currently. Tara amazes all of the community. Except Lina. Mrs Murdo too in fact. Understanding Lina's reason to not trust her has lead Evaleen to disagree with Tara as well. But Evaleen tries to make her fit in, challenges her in the council room though. Tara is slightly annoyed at first. But she has to learn to deal with it if she is to remain with these people. They have to all like her and she must have their trust. It will take time she assures herself.

"Doon, we should start moving. Can you go and make sure Lina and Poppy are ready?" Doon's father asks him as Doon spots Tara emerge from her patch of space and leaves that is her bed. Doon watches the girl. She's only a couple of years older than him at most. Her eyes dazzle him and amaze everyone in the community. Except Lina and Evaleen. It's unnerving for them. And hell it is. The fact only they seem to notice the growth of the odd colour patches makes them feel like outsiders. No one else believes them. And it's putting a strain on all their relationships. Doon hasn't spoken to Lina properly in a while and it's hurting her. He can't seem to notice it. Lina thinks it's her. Tara must have put a spell on him. She could, couldn't she? That's the problem. No one knows enough about Tara to know exactly what she can do. But not many other people are bothered by this. She's the hope in their camp. And they need it.

"Hey. You ready to show us around?" Doon says as he passes by Tara. She has striking black hair with strips of lighter grey. Apparently it's a sign that the atomic bombs are within her. The colour of their mushroom cloud is the colour of her long, wavy hair.

"I'm good thanks. I've seen this day. We're going to see an old city. One I used to visit as a toddler apparently. I've only seen myself there twice with my mother." She goes silent now. When being asked about her past, her origin, she was never great at explaining.

A long trek later and that's when she felt it. An air of peculiarity. A feeling of de ja vu. She's been there before. No. She was inside a girl who had been there. No. A man who had moved to the city before the bombs.
...
I never thought a city of glass could produce so much light. The light bounces off the glass so much that I can see it's rays from here on the ground. The reflected rays. This is why I'm going to love this city. A place where actually, something amazingly beautiful will occur. Even if it means I might be more prone to being hit by the bombs if they come, they'll be people here like me. I can learn from the scientists here to make better bombs. Then we'll all be saved.
...
"Tara!" Someone exclaims upon seeing her freeze. She looks down and realises she's in the exact same spot as that man was. She took the presence of a being from over 200 years ago. She wants to cry. But instead she must gain love so explains the vision to her people. Yes. Hers. Nearly anyway. It's the first time it's happened. A vision like that. They understand its hard for her. But Lina an Evaleen exchange looks, knowing that this means her yellow patch will grow. They are correct.

"We're close though." Tara tells them. She hangs back. Doon does too and comes to stand by Lina. She more or less blanks him. And there. The city of glass. Gone. Rubble. Eroded. Nothing but mess. If you listen, you can hear the radiation. Well, those who aren't immune to it.

I can't believe it. Lina and Evaleen are immune to radiation. How? How is it possible that they, like my people, judge me the same way? Is it because they're all immune? This isn't right. How can it be? What has biologically happened to them to curse me like this? This is what the visions are for. So I can understand me better. Right? Oh I don't know anymore. But what I do know is they are always correct. I stand behind Doon and Lina as they witness the destruction. The ground of uselessness. The shattered and dirty glass. The wood and metal pieces mostly turned to dust in the explosion. Poor humans. Never knew what was coming for them.