Believe me

I tried. I thought this would work. Take them to see what had happened so that when they meet my people they won't have fights. They'll understand that war causes destruction and pain and that, is what caused the end of the world that had been. Seeing how painful the resulting land was would stop them from arguing. But I can't do anything to stop that. And now I'm crying my eyes out because it will happen again. The end of the world will come again. Only Lina and Evaleen will see sense. Of course they will. It's them. The immunes. But my people are immune too so why will there be major conflict when I bring them to each other? What is happening to humanity?

"Where do we go from here?" Doon's father asks Tara later that night when everyone tries to find enjoyment out of a camp fire. Tara looks up at him, wiping away the remnants of tears from her pale cheeks. At least her skin tone makes her look like one of them.

"I don't want to take you to my people. They will hate me like they always did. I would put you all in danger by going there. They'd kill me and you all plainly because I would be coming back to a place that I was banished from." Tara knows this is the best option. She doesn't want to see the next war. She realises now that she is the next war. She has lead the Emberites this far. Because of her, they will witness the people of Sparks and there will be disagreement. And that is the war that she creates. It's all her mothers fault. If she hadn't been banished, this wouldn't happen. But everything happens for a reason. And the reason she physically resembles the atomic bombs, is because she is one.

"I understand you don't want to chance getting us all endangered but seriously Tara, you got us here so you deserve to go home. We can vouch for you." He smiles a wrinkly smile to her but it doesn't feel warming in her opinion.

"Believe me, you really don't want to be seen with me. Just explain everything I already knew about you people to them and just try to get them to comprehend that you're telling the truth. Make them your friends. If you can." Tara gets up and goes and sits by the fire alone. Doon and Lina are opposite her trying to mend their relationship.

"Doon, when I needed you, you were there. And I love you for it but now, it's as if because I don't need you, you think it's all right to completely ignore me? It hurts to think you don't care." Lina clutches Poppy in her lap. She's the only person who loves her right now.

"No Lina. You've got it completely wrong okay? I tried to be with you when you needed someone but you pushed me away! What am I supposed to do if I think you still don't want me?" Lina looks shocked at him. Poppy is just dazed by the fire - and it worries Tara who can feel Poppy's desire to touch the fire. Lina's anxiety is causing her body to try and repel from carrying the load that is the toddler. Tara's on it. If she can get Lina to like her, this could be beneficial for Tara to feel like she belongs.

"Doon that's not true! I mean, I didn't mean to push you away. Oh no, I'm so sorry." She puts her hands on her eyes but as Doon goes to put his hands on her arms, he notices Poppy got released.

"Oh God, Poppy!" He shouts. Lina looks up as she feels Doon's shadow retreat. It's then that she sees Tara whisk Poppy onto her hip, just as the toddler nearly makes contact between her hands and the flames.

"Hush Poppy. It's okay." Poppy starts to cry from the smoke in her eyes and then splutter cause of the smoke in her lungs. There are mild burn marks on her hands. Tara thought should could grab Poppy away just before this happened. Clearly not and that's going to anger Lina. Oh no. But what Tara can do is heal. Strange. That must be the blue of her eyes. But she didn't always heal and her eyes have always been blue. Poppy's pain in her lungs, hands and eyes recedes just as Tara slowly waltzes up to Lina to hand her back her sister.

"She should be healed now. I felt her lust to be closer to the fire and I had to come running from your father Doon. I told him I'm not going to my people but I'll take you all close enough." Tara looks at Poppy all the while. Lina doesn't want to take her sister back.

"I'm a bad person. I should have watched her." She breaks down into more sobs. She pushes Doon's hands off her back when he tries to hug her. There might be no hope for them. But Tara knows.

Okay, so I exaggerated my heroic story. Wouldn't you? I have to have her trust but now I've just pained her more. She'll trust me more than herself. This isn't good. Why can't I choose to see what will happen? I would choose to see how these two pan out. I can make an assumption - but will it ever be correct?

Authors note

I used some Imagine Dragons quotes in here. They are a great band. Listen to them and love them.

:)