Laughing

Danny's P.O.V.

"Jean!!!! Jean! Jean! Jean!" I can see her from a distance. I've been running trying to find her. "Jean!! Jean!" I hugged her lifting her in the air and spinning.
"Hey! Put me down!" I put her down, jumping up and down. I can't contain my excitement. "What's going on?"
"Come on I'll show you!" I grab her hand and drag her down the hallway.

I stop in front of the bulletin board and point over her shoulder. "It's the cast list. We made it. I'm Professor Harold Hill, and you are Marian Paroo."
"No way."
"Yes way!" She jumped and she hugged me. This is the first time she's ever hugged me. Then she gasped letting me go.
"Um... sorry." She lowered her head, her face was flushing with embarrassment.

"No!" I poke her forehead. "You are not going to loose your projection. No shame in being loud! Or expressing yourself!" I hug her again spinning.
"Danny! Put me down!" I can't help myself, but just laugh.
"No shame!!!" I spun faster and I heard her laughing too.
"You weirdo."
"Correction I'm Harold now." I set her down. "We must get into character. So, start ignoring me while I try to get your attention."
"Hold on, we don't have our scripts."
"No, I have them." I pulled out two scripts from my backpack. I got them earlier from Mr. Martin. I was about to hand it to her, then I playfully pull my hand back. "If you want it, you'll have to catch me first." I ran down the hallway, and I heard her footsteps chase after me.

I ran outside to the hill next to the school. I tumbled over and fell laughing. She was standing over me laughing.
"You okay?" She held her hand out to me. I grabbed her hand and pulled her down on the grass next to me. We were rolling on the grass laughing. Then she grabbed her scrip from my other hand. We both get up from the grass.
"Yay! You win!" I clap my hands together.
"Thank you, thank you." She laughed as she bowed.

My dad pulled up and as I get in the car Jean called out to me.
"See you tomorrow." She was waving and smiling.
"Bye!" I wave back and get in the car.

My dad had a strange smile on his face.
"Hello Professor Harold Hill. You got the part. That's my boy."
"How did you-?"
"The cast list is on the school website. I also saw Jean is the leading lady." He elbowed me. "It'll be nice to be working with a friend. But I'm hinting you've grown closer."
"Dad, we are just friends."
"You are kindred spirits you say, but I think you might be soulmates." I felt my face growing hot.
"Dad!" He broke out in laughter.
"Alright alright, I'll stop. So, how are her parents?"
"They're getting better." My voice sounded horse.
"In what way are they getting better?" Crap he's getting suspicious.
"Well, they're awake. That's all she told me." I don't want my parents worrying even more. Besides its part of our promise. I never break my promises.
"That's good. I really hope they get better soon."
"Me too." The rest of the car ride was silent.