The Promise

"JJ!" No, no, no. I don't want to talk to anyone especially him. Why is he still following me? I try to walk faster. A hand is on my shoulder. Don't turn around, don't turn around. "Hey, you okay? You've been dodging people all day, and more than usual. You're even dodging me."
"Danny, can you please just leave me alone?"
"What are you talking about? What's going on?"
"Please, just leave me alone."
"I can't, you can't- You have to audition for Music Man with me."
"I can't."
"Why?" I shake his hand off my shoulder and walk away.

He grabs my hand and turns me to face him. His eyes were full of worry. "Jean, tell me. Please?" I take a deep breath.
"I'm having some family problems right now. And I don't think doing a play is a good idea. I'm sorry."
"That's not an answer!"
"What else do you want to hear?!" My eyes were watering. I couldn't help it. ".. I.. I'm so sorry.."

I turn to walk away again, but Danny won't let go of my hand.
"Don't apologize, it's not your fault. I want to hear what's really going on. I want to know the truth. I'm worried."
"You're worried? How do you think I feel? I'm scared, I'm worried, I'm confused. My parents have no idea who I am. They remember everything except me. My relatives hate me. I just-" Tears just roll down my face as I spoke.

Danny wrapped his arms around me in a hug.
"Shh... It'll be okay, Jean. Please promise me you won't let this change anything between us. Promise me you'll still audition with me. Promise me you'll stay." I could feel small drops of something cold. Is he crying too? I can't see, because he's barring my face in his chest. I can't look up because his head is resting on top of mine. "Promise me?"
"If you promise to stay my friend, I will." I hugged him back.
"Of course, I promise you. Now you have to promise me, we'll be friends and you'll audition for the play." He hugged me tighter. "Please."
"I promise."