Chapter 6

We were so close. So close getting to the safe haven. It was in sight, but out of reach. Right when we got on the road, we ran into a huge wave of zombies, they were swarming all over us. Kind of like flies on an ice cream. Carl had brought guns and ammunition with him, but we didn't want to fire; because loud noises attract the infected. Especially volatiles.

 Luckily there were no volatiles, only regular zombies. That didn't make it any better. I'd say that there were about fifty surrounding the RV, desperately wanting our flesh. "What now?" Jesse asked as he glanced out the window, looking at a zombie. "Consider our options." Paul said. "What can we do?" He asked. We could do three things. Get on top, try to get to another building. Or we could throw a piece of meat to distract them. Our third option was to jump from car to car until we got to a building.

The best option was to throw a piece of meat to distract them, and then run for a building. I told Paul and Jesse the plane, they agreed with me. We took frozen chicken tenders out of the freezer and waited for them to get back to room temperature. After that, put as much supplies and weapons in our backpack that we could carry, then climbed up to the top of the RV.

"Here's the plan, throw then run; stop for nothing." I said. Jesse and Paul nodded. We threw the chicken in one direction then busted for the nearest house. Some zombies went for the meat, only a portion of them went for us. We saw a path that led to the beach, so we took it. Eventually we lost them, and then cut through the beach to the safe haven. Then we saw it. It was a wall, made of metal. I'd say it was about eight feet tall, with guards on the top. It led into a townhouse neighborhood.

The guards pointed their guns at us; we immediately put our hands up. We got led into a small building right by the gates, then they searched us questioned us. After that, we told them everything about ourselves. It took them a while, but finally they decided to let us in. They assigned all three of us a home to share, which was fine with me. Along with that, we also were given a map of the neighborhood, which was a bonus.

That night, we all had dinner together. Paul told us he had a feeling that something was not right about this place. They called this place "Edgewood". I thought that Paul was wrong, but I was arrogant as usual. Jesse disagreed with us; he thought this place was legitimate. But Paul and I knew that something was wrong. We just had to figure out what it was. 

  I felt like this place was the right one. It could have been like Wellington, but I had hope in this place. It may have loose ends and other flaws, but it seemed okay. It felt as if there were no apocalypse at all. No one in Edgewood would talk to you about the apocalypse, if you did, they would ignore you and walk away. It didn't matter, all that mattered was that we had a place to stay safe, at least for a little while.